H.P vs. Bar Length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been asked this before as a generalization. I just played around and thought 1.3*the square root of the bar length in inches should be close. Due to the numbers of variables involved this is only for ballpark figures. The constant 1.3 would vary from about 0.9 to 1.5 depending on the hardness of the wood. You could easily use a spreadsheet program to play around with parameters and customize it. Cheers, Simon.

That seems like overkill to me, if I'm using your formula correctly. Take a 16" bar. That would give you a 5.2 ci powerhead. (square root of 16 * 1.3)

That seems like overkill to me, if I'm using your formula correctly. Take a 16" bar. That would give you a 5.2 ci powerhead. (square root of 16 * 1.3)
This thread is about HP vs. bar length. I am not talking about displacement. Also this is a very general situation. If you are cutting soft wood for example, the HP would be 0.9* root 16 or 3.6HP.

This thread is about HP vs. bar length. I am not talking about displacement. Also this is a very general situation. If you are cutting soft wood for example, the HP would be 0.9* root 16 or 3.6HP.

Makes sense. I hate it when I transpose terms in my head. :cheers:

Ok, so basically sawTroll was right in this post. There is no formula. There is, however, common sense.
When I came up with this formula it was based on several assumptions. Very sharp chain, rakers 0.030" below cutters, bar in good shape with appropriate oil delivery. There are simply too many variables to get an exact correlation. This is however pretty close. "Ballpark" if you will.

When I came up with this formula it was based on several assumptions. Very sharp chain, rakers 0.030" below cutters, bar in good shape with appropriate oil delivery. There are simply too many variables to get an exact correlation. This is however pretty close. "Ballpark" if you will.

I see. Its cool that people like you take the time and math to calculate this kind of stuff. I suppose it could be a good rule of thumb for beginner saw users/buyers. :clap:

Originally Posted by BaldSawRunner
Man, I was going to get an 880 and slap a 14" bar on it to use as my climbing saw

and run a wild thingy with a 84" bar. man would that drive the women wild.

I've got a bar for my 3120 that wound up 16" when I cut it to fit the sprocket.:)

Does all this math stuff you guy's are doing mean I shouldn't run my 372 with a 36" bar? It will work if you really need it to. I probably shouldn't be running that 20" on the little 350 either.:laugh:

It's all preference. You guy's do your math, I'll be cuttin trees.

Andy

Back