Hand ascender compatibility with single braid rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ap1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi people. I've been getting some great info from arborist site for a couple of months but I've been kind of quiet. I'm new to tree climbing but as I'm married, middle aged, and have kids, I value my life and have treaded cautiously into this endeavor. I have a Petzl hand ascender. The booklet that comes with it describes it as being made for use with kernmantle rope. It makes no mention one way or the other about use with other types. I'm using Arbor Master single braid. Does anyone know if the hand ascender will work acceptably with Arbor Master rope? My use would be simple SRT ascension; no unusual lateral uses or other radical stuff you pros do.

Thanks,
AP

It should work fine, assuming it can handle 1/2 in rope. Keep in mind that ascenders are made for the rock-climbing and caving worlds. Lots of arborists have never used one and never will, but a rope like Arbormaster, with its thick cover (much thicker than a kernmantle) should hold up very well. I use my CMI ascenders on Arbormaster all the time. Some ropes are no doubt unsuitable or even dangerous with an ascender, but I can't imagine you would have a problem with Arbormaster.

Hand Ascender

Some times you can run a chain saw file over the sharp teeth on that Ascender just to dull up the teeth so it don 't pull to many threads out of you rope. I had to do this with the first Petzel basic ascender I bought back in 97, still use it

Thanks, both of you.

I was little apprehensive asking about ascenders, figuring it might sound like an amateur question (and the fact that it appears most arborists use ddrt instead of srt), but my footlock technique isn't exactly confidence inspiring so I'm using the hand ascender with a foot loop and a prusik with the saddle. Better safe than dead, I figure.

Yeah, those teeth on the cam are pretty danged aggressive. I was wondering about filing them. I not sure why Petzl didn't just make a ribbed cam like others have. A chainsaw file would probably be just the ticket.

Thanks again. Very helpful information all around.

AP

Last edited:
Hand ascender

You don't to remove the teeth just dull them a bit.I bought that Basic in 97 and late in the day I could go up with a chain saw no arm cramps no risk of being to tired. Use the same with a web sling made out of a Dog Leash

kernnamantle rope has little too no stretch and are most always a better choice for ascending or going up. most rock climbers are not using asenders. any rope rated 5400lbs or more regardless of construction will work as long as its fits in the recommended size. its always wise too back up your ascender and real good idea to use arborist climbing lines fer life support while doing tree care.

Last edited:
Thanks, both of you.

... Yeah, those teeth on the cam are pretty danged aggressive. I was wondering about filing them. I not sure why Petzl didn't just make a ribbed cam like others have. A chainsaw file would probably be just the ticket....

AP

I'll try to talk you out of filing the teeth. I use CMI ascenders on Arboplex, Arbormaster Blue Streak, Yale "Spearment", Yale "Blaze", and New England Kernmantle. I have never filed the teeth.

The ascenders are a little tough on the Blue Streak and the Arborplex, but I inspect them regularly and replace as needed. I would rather they stick a little than that they should slip any at all. They do occasionaly slip a little on the New England Kernmantle (which has a very hard lay) and (mysteriously enough) on the Spearment. I think the Spearment has a little harder lay than the Blue Streak, although I expected them to be very similar.

From what you are saying I am guessing the Petzl ascenders are more aggressive than my CMI's, but it sure worries me when the CMI's slip even just a little. If you file your Petzl teeth down where they work well on your arbormaster, and then some day some where put them on a rope with harder lay, you may regret it. And it might not happen in the first foot or two off the ground. Let a little chain oil get on your rope somewhere at 50 feet plus and a few inches of slip from an ascender that is not aggressive enough can be rather disturbing. How do I know? We all try to keep our ropes clean, but accidents happen.

I realize budget is a problem, but I suggest keeping the Petzl as is, and using it on the rope it is designed for. Try a less aggressive ascender on the arbormaster. Job Corps Tree may have enough experience to know just how far to file the teeth and still stay safe. I dont. Do you?

also....

ive been working on an scender setup for ddrt. i will get some pics up soon. itbasically gives you a 3:1 advantage using a micro pulley. all you have to do is pull on the slack end of your rope and up you go....... then reset and repeat.

Hand Ascenders

Not a problem I have no ego it is just what I did with a new Basic ascender first 1 I bought from Petzl We don't want it to slip!! all I did was dull them just a little and never filed any more . I have a newer ascender from PMI never touched works as well

I have used the Petzl ascenders on all my climbing lines, and I have never felt the need to dull them. They never slipped, and I was never able to distinguish any damage from them. I suspect the friction knot does more damage to the rope than the ascender (in normal use), and I know that a rapid descent will.

I ALWAYS use a friction knot, not as backup, but because that was my PRIMARY friction device. It's just that an ascender is so easy to slide up the rope, and provides so much better grip on the rope than just hands-on.

I rig my ascender on a short little rope with a couple of carabiners, just the right length to clip to the d-rings. When I go higher than I wish to risk letting my ascender drop me, I slide up the friction knot to take up the slack. When I don't want the ascender for climbing, it comes in real handy for clipping onto tools like pole pruners, chainsaws, etc. and just hanging them on the climbing line. Then I am freed of all the clutter on my belt, and can easily pull the tools back up to me if I need them. It becomes a sort of traveling tool box on a rope for me.

My Petzl has worked well on all the 1/2" climbing line I have used, even three strand twisted rope.

Back