hand ascender with petzl footape

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Young Joseph

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
guys,
im new to SRT climbing on DRT for 13 years! im loving this hipster way of doing things and ive nearly got a full SRT setup. just wondering how useful a hand ascender is when combined with a footape to replace a knee ascender. this would mean im using one foot ascender combined with a zigzag/chcane AND a footape/hand ascender setup. do yall think this is as effective or less effective than a knee ascender? hope that makes sense,

I have tried that setup and my experience was less effective in most situations. My reasoning is simple... Legs are stronger than arms. You will tire more easily and won't have the even control that using both legs will provide. Just my .02¢

I have tried that setup and my experience was less effective in most situations. My reasoning is simple... Legs are stronger than arms. You will tire more easily and won't have the even control that using both legs will provide. Just my .02¢
Your right and I'm 2/3s the weight of most climbers with good upper body strength.
Boot and knee acenders outrun hand pulls all day everyday with much less fatigue climbing SRT lines set for widow makers to be removed and repel back down. Rope walking is on YouTube to set it up. A guy north of me has it perfected. Mark Chisholm I think his name is. He works for Stihl now or did.

Latest posts

Back