Harvesting Top Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It was sunny 78* today, so i went to the woods to saw out some top logs that i left behind last trip. Here's a sample of the bottom logs i took out eariler...

orig.jpg

Today i'm logging on top of the hill in this pict.. That hill they are on is much steeper than it looks in this pict. so i have to be carefull when skidding. Also as you can see, there's more pine there to saw out later, and i'm going to need every pine i can get for the customer i'm sawing for...

orig.jpg

Once i got up on the hill, i sawed out a load of top logs...

orig.jpg

And started skidding them out... All of these logs are going to be milled into 5/4 lumber, so even if they are smaller logs they are still well worth harvesting.

orig.jpg

The biggest log i sawed out today, was about 18" x 12' long. You can see it here in the load...

orig.jpg

Once i had them loaded, it was time to go up sugar sand hill and head for the road...

orig.jpg

With bigger loads, even as big as my tractor is, it still spins all 4 wheels pulling the loads up the deep sandy hill...

orig.jpg

That's it for this time, now to get them milled!

Rob

hey rob, ya got it made dude, nice logs and some great loggin' equipment. just came in from wrestlin' a big oak log that just didn't want to lay on the mill the way i wanted it and draggin' a couple of small logs out of the pickup. gotta get some of that support equipment before i get much older. nice pix. thanks.

Great pics Rob, as was said, you have a nice setup there with that tractor. Looking forward to seeing some milling pics. So Rob... why do they call it "sugar sand hill"? :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

I didn't know they had that much sand in one spot out there where you live.

Nice load of logs :clap:

Looking forward to the rest of the story:chainsaw:

If I can't can't get out and play in the bush, then the next best thing is to watch your picture stories. Thanks Rob :cheers:

Great pics, but no Stihls in the pics. I like the log trailer, I am thinking of making a skidding arch. The log rite is a bit pricey for me. Or I am cheap. Except when it comes to saws. Remember, German women can beat up Swedish women.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

Nice setup Rob , I like green pine logs , they cut nice and smell nice , you should get some nice timber out of them , nice pic's to mate . Cheers MM

The joys of tractors, hills, and logs brings flash backs to my youth (good bad and ugly).

I milled these "Top Logs" the other day, but i've been busy so i'm slow at getting the picts. posted...

I milled all the logs into 5/4 lumber... Here's some random picts of the sawing of some of the logs...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This was the biggest log in this load, and it turned out some pretty nice lumber...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Here's another one that was pretty nice... I could stand to have all of my logs saw as nice as these two did! Nice logs, easy to load and turn, and nice lumber out of them too...

This log was full of sand from skidding it, so i positioned the log with the dirty side "up", and took 99% of the dirt off with the first slab...

orig.jpg

Here's all of the 5/4 lumber from this load of top logs...

orig.jpg

So i picked the whole stack up, and delivered it a mile up the road to my customer friend!

orig.jpg

That's it for this bach of Top Logs, hope you liked the picts...

Rob

So i picked the whole stack up, and delivered it a mile up the road to my customer friend!

orig.jpg

To bad we don't all have neighbors like you Rob, to deliver us some custom sawn lumber with that tractor. Nice job. As was said many time, you have a nice setup there. Have you kept track of all the lumber you've sawn and for what price since you started doing this?

Nice tractor set up.

I was out this week milling some pine as well.
The trees that I milled were about the same size as yours.
I just took the mill to the trees that were 35 miles down the road,
milled and stacked them on site. and drove the mill back home.

This shows the stack of 1x12's 1x10's and 1x8's
attachment.php

I cut some 2x6's and 6x6's
attachment.php

All three trees were cut into 16' lengths except for one 14' log.
They will use this to build a hay storage area.
attachment.php

Have you kept track of all the lumber you've sawn and for what price since you started doing this?

Thanks guys...

And, no i haven't kept track of how many bd ft i've sawn on my mills... I know a lot of sawers do, as they like to brag about it, but i guess that just wasn't ever important to me..

Rob

Great stuff Rob and Backwoods!

I love too see the story and pix start to finish! Excellent looking lumber.:cheers:

Thanks guys...

And, no i haven't kept track of how many bd ft i've sawn on my mills... I know a lot of sawers do, as they like to brag about it, but i guess that just wasn't ever important to me..

Rob

I wasn't thinking of bragging rites... if I owned a mill like that, I'd want to keep track at least roughly if only to know how much wear and tear on the mill. I keep rough estimates of how many thousand feet I've milled with my little Ripsaw... it's about 8000 bd ft so far.

I wasn't thinking of bragging rites... if I owned a mill like that, I'd want to keep track at least roughly if only to know how much wear and tear on the mill. I keep rough estimates of how many thousand feet I've milled with my little Ripsaw... it's about 8000 bd ft so far.

I guess i feel that, that should be judged by "looking the mill over" to see how much wear it has... I do have an hr meter on the motor for oil changes...

Wear parts on the mill have to be replaced "as needed", and it's not geared to bd ft... (belts, bearings, ect...) With good maintance habits, everything on my last mill lasted a long long time, in fact not much of anything on it was ever replaced! It still had the origional belts and spark plug on it when i sold it!!

It looks like this mill is going to be the same way!

Rob

Nice tractor set up.

I was out this week milling some pine as well.
The trees that I milled were about the same size as yours.
I just took the mill to the trees that were 35 miles down the road,
milled and stacked them on site. and drove the mill back home.

This shows the stack of 1x12's 1x10's and 1x8's
attachment.php

I cut some 2x6's and 6x6's
attachment.php

All three trees were cut into 16' lengths except for one 14' log.
They will use this to build a hay storage area.
attachment.php

Good looking pile!
A+++ Job on stacking! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back