Has to be true, I read it on the Internet.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laugh all you want, but I know many a mower dealership that uses GPS units on mowers that sit outside at night. You would be amazed at how efective it really is!!!

GPS units, by themselves, are simply receivers of data sent by a network of satellites and generally only work if there is a direct line of sight to the satellite. If they are in a cement garage or even under a large forest canopy, inexpensive sensors will not be able to accurately determine their location. I suspect you are referring to the common anti-theft devices that rely on both GPS and the cell/mobile phone network. That is, the GPS sensor is used to determine the position of the device and data is sent anywhere between 5-600 times per day via the cellular phone network (often using SMS). They tend to be subscription based and of limited practical use in rural settings.

Cheers,
Graham

Edit: What an intresting law-suit if a saw stoped during a backcut or otherwise stoped in the middle of critical work, and someone got hurt because of it!

They wouldn't design it like that. Saw would just not start after it was next stopped after it had gone over time. twould be easy enough to configure.

That is, the GPS sensor is used to determine the position of the device and data is sent anywhere between 5-600 times per day via the cellular phone network (often using SMS). They tend to be subscription based and of limited practical use in rural settings.

I would imagine if they can make the transmitter that small, a walkie talkie size receiver would be able to directionally locate said device when you get within an 1/8 mile.

Besides, it's like the steering wheel lock; the serious criminals have figured it out and it merely keeps the honest people honest.

Back