Heard We Have Some More New Bugs To Play With, Coming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at a small home seminar here in Wisconsin. They were talking about a another "shield type bug" heading this way that is suppose to as common around a house as a Box Elder Bug.
And a damaging Fruit Fly.

Anyone know a little more on these? If so, any links for pictures and/or info would be appreciated.

I believe the sheild bug you are talking about is commonly reffered to as the stink bug. Its brown and grayish and if you want to get em its gonna be tough.

They came over from Asia on boat they say. They get inside the buildings and it seems since the smell of the dead ones only attracks more you pretty much have to gut out the house to clean it out. We are talking; tear out the wall and get rid of the insulation type stuff. Sure, insecticide kills em, but they go deep.
The box elder bugs seem a little easier to deal with because of their habits but this stink bug seems to be the perfect storm. It sounds like we have to basically kill ourselves to kill them. From what I have read and seen I am pretty much beat.

box elder bugs are easy, you just wait for a sunny day when they all come and hang out in one spot and grease them then. Stink bugs have a different habits combined with their agressive " plight for life" mechanisms.

And back in grade school when they told us about the fruit flies I didn't understand us third graders were growing them and letting them out the window.:msp_confused:

And back in grade school when they told us about the fruit flies I didn't understand us third graders were growing them and letting them out the window.:msp_confused:

Thanks for the info.
We haven't seen either here yet, from what I understand. The "stink bug" is suppose to be here soon and I heard the new fruit fly is still out on the coast(s) but migrating inward.

My old colleagues at WI DATCP, said they were trying to keep up on it as it comes. I just was trying to see if I could get more from those that are already dealing with these new ones.

The "stink bug" as you say, sounds like a real pain.

We have enough Boxelders here, always have. Not hard to deal with.

I was on the EAB crew, for 3 years, cutting down for random sampling and stripping bark. That was a big mistake bringing that one over, huh? Others colleagues I know, have set up the basement of the Morton Arboretum, Lisle, IL for EAB research. Which I hope brings some light, fast. ... I started doing trees with Dutch Elms, back in the 80's, and it's sad to see the another species with such destruction again. Let alone the evergreens, from those beetles, I haven't had a chance to work with, but seen in the west, when passing through.

(shrug) Live, learn, and move on to the next? I guess.

Thanks again!

All kinds of gnashing going on here concerning the Spoted wing Drosophila and the Marmorated stink bug.

http://ipmnews.msu.edu/fruit/Fruit/...rams-to-combat-new-invasive-insect-pests.aspx

There are other good links and info if ya bang around on the MSUE IPM site.

Both are capable of causing Billions of dollars in damage and our best tools to fight them untill the entymologists come up with a viable strategy, have been taken away.

Gonna hit a couple meetings and see what can be gleaned, and call a couple lab Rats I know, to see if any current ovicides or organic options would be effective.

I do know that there is some heavy tinkering going on, but it's going to be the first season for dealing with them.

I do know that NOTHING survives Guithion, and I will be saving the single application we are allowed, for a back up plan if all else fails.
I hate using the organophosphates, but the new stuff has been dissapointing in many regards and if it isn't effective I will hit the big Red button.

The Organic growers are gonna be screwed, and we really don't know the real damage potential of the new stink bug on other crops yet.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back