heating house hot water with wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolhawk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a daka indoor wood furnace , works awesome, 2500 sq feet ,72 degrees all the time , went through 11 face cords last year , Now I want to set it up to preheat my water supply to my hot water tank , if i was to put coils in the heat chamber ( not the fire box ) it will heat up the water but will it build up preasure ? city water so not a closed system , I am a fabricator by trade so making it not a problem , come on put your 2 cents in , THANKS FOR YOUR EXPERTISE

Hi i very well could build up pressure but to be on the safe side just put a T&P valve (like what is on your water heater that way it would blow of at 212deg. or 150psi and than you would never have to worry about blowing it up.

I too have a DAKA wood furnace, and one of the options is a domestic hot water heater that runs through the hot air portion of the furnace. Check out the website, many add-ons to get the most out of the furnace.

Would like to know how your installation went. DIY or help from a pro.

yes

I seen that , but is is only 24 inches, I think that I could do better and more efficent with longer or coiled tube ????

An inquiry to DAKA about the capacity of their option, maintaining how many gpm @ a given temperature? Maybe get a feel for why they designed what they are offering, if they'll share that info, anyway. Too big and you may start stealing heat from your main purpose, just getting a 30* boost up from the 50* grouind temp will be a big help on your water heating costs.

Just brainstorming here, you know how heat tape works?, well what if you ran a tight coil of tubing around the supply pipe to the hot-water heater, and hat that coil on a loop running through the hot air portion of the furnace, with a pressure relief valve for safety?. Or is that too putzy?,

I'm a little tired already tonight.:eek:

very good

thats very simular to my original thought , your right a 30 degree rise would be great , now u have 80 - 90 degree water entering your tank , 1) not cooling your hot supply to fast and recovery would be cut down to nothing ,

Latest posts

Back