Help identifying a grub...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSRuff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
While dropping some oaks I came across a rotten area in the crotch of one of the trees filled with dirt and debris. After sharpening up the chain I returned to the log to find a couple of these (see attached picture) crawling out. I was just cutting the standing dead trees out of the grove, but am wondering if I should be concerned about the 200 or so healthy trees remaining.

While I was holding the little (actually huge, at least by my standards) guy to take the picture it actually chewed through the palm of my padded leather glove and was secreting some kind of black sticky substance from its mouth.

I can't see any bore holes in the wood, and these were only present in the rotten section of one tree. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated...

Not sure, but I think I saw that crazy Andrew Zimmern guy eat a few on Bizarre Foods.

Ate through a leather glove? Tough little fella.:jawdrop:

I have no idea, all grubs look alike to me, but I would like to take a bunch of them down to the catfish tank and catch a mess for supper.:)

I see those in some of the pine trees around here. I used to have a fish tank with an eel in it. Whenever I'd find one of those I'd run in and feed it to the eel. He loved them. Wicked cool to watch him eat em. I would show it to him from the side of the tank and he would get all excited about getting fed. Best fish I ever had.

grub

This is Japanese Beetle grub. The way to get rid of it is by using a product called Milky Spore. I believe beneficial nematodes also can destroy this pest.

This is Japanese Beetle grub. The way to get rid of it is by using a product called Milky Spore. I believe beneficial nematodes also can destroy this pest.

Thanks for the information... I talked with the local extension agency and since there are very few of these around they don't feel it should be a problem, but they also suggested milky spore as a control agent. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back