Help Me Write Reasonable Regulations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I live in a rural farming area and I own an OWB as do a couple of my neighbors, one neighbor has a furnace add on in his basement, and I believe several others burn in their fireplace fairly often. We all live a good distance away and I don't believe I have a neighbor within 500 feet of my house....and downwind I probably don't have a neighbor for 1,000 feet or so. We all get along just fine, help each other cut wood, round up stray cows together, watch each others kids or animals when the need arises, and we generally have the kind of relationship between neighbors that everyone hopes for.

I work in a nearby small town and as a result I do several jobs. I am the City Engineer and schedule road and waterline improvements, I am the Building Inspector and issue building permits and perform inspections, and I am also the Zoning Administrator and I get to make sure everyone cuts their grass, keeps their junk cars out of their yards and complies with the Zoning Ordinances.

I have been dreading the day that someone would apply for a permit to install a OWB in the City I work for.....as I really don't think they would work well in town. We really don't have winters that are very harsh - but still people can spend a lot of money on heat for a few months each winter. Last week we had temperatures in the high 70's - but we were warmer than normal. We had our first frost overnight this week and daytime temperatures are now in the high 50's. December is usually in the 40's, January through February can be cold and we normally havea week or two each winter of 10 degree or colder. It may be difficult for most to justify the expense of an OWB setup - but a furnace add on or free standing stove may be justifiable.

This is an older town and most houses were built prior to the 60's - some even older. The lots are very small and there are a large number of lots that are only 40'x125', and a few that are 60' wide. The houses are very often only seperated by 6 - 10 feet and the land is very hilly. Most streets are built on ridges and the houses are built on the hillsides and are very close to the street so that they could be built near the street elevation. If an OWB were to be put in the rear yard it would be at basement level and the smoke would most likely be discharged at the living level of the neighboring houses unless a 20' tall stack were to be installed.

I think that it may be reasonable to allow clean burning furnace add on units or free standing stoves in this area - I am not sure how you could install a conventional OWB in these subdivisions without causing a great deal of problems from the smoke. I am open to any comments or input that you may have - I am not a fan of over regulating things - but when you have neighbors this close I do believe that they deserve to be protected from a constant barrage of smoke from a neighbors wood furnace/stove/OWB. I have attached a few pictures that show what kind of neighborhoods we have in town.

These are two houses on a street that we are rebuilding. Their back yards drop steeply away at about a 3/1 slope.
attachment.php

These two houses are just up the street from the two in the previous picture. He is replacing his driveway while the street replacement work is being done. These houses are barely 10' apart - and this is not uncommon.
attachment.php

These two houses are next door to the one replacing his driveway and once again they are only about 10' apart.
attachment.php

This picture shows the houses and back yards at the next street and there are 4 houses in a distance of about 160' of width. The open yard area on the right side is the corner lot where the house was neglected and got too old to repair and was torn down. Notice how it would be difficult to build an OWB in the rear yard - the predominant wind would be toward the houses if and OWB was installed behind the houses.
attachment.php

My initial thought is to allow indoor units that are clean burning and use existing chimneys without regulation (maybe restricting the use to a certain time of year is appropriate). For indoor units that don't have any clean burn technology or for OWB - I believe it would be necessary to have more restrictions.

Last edited:
Looks like small town mid America to me. As you know I own an OWB and I am not out in the middle of no where but my neighbors have no complaints. Lot size, set backs and stack heights would seem to me to be the best way to keep them from being installed in places that the smoke would be a nuisance to neighbors. Problem is that most of the laws I see proposed and passed are WAY too strict and have no provisions for grandfathering. My way of thinking about such is to let the people of the town decide it. Regulate and how strict to regulate or not to regulate at all. Way too many such things are decided and voted upon by elected, and unelected officials in spite of public opinion IMO but I am too getting political here (sorry mods) Good luck, your going to have pleased and POed residents no matter which way you go.

I'm glad I dont have your job. I would hate to be the one to draft regulations concerning the rights of the few over the many. In all honesty, by looking at your pictures, I cant imagine allowing any OWB in an area where the smoke will drift not only to your close neighbors but all over the neighborhood. We have very few here in our town in TN, but I know our local township is moving to ban them all together within the city limits. If folks did the right thing and burned clean and dry wood I doubt that it would be much of a problem, but they have had a real problem with folks cancelling their garbage pickup and just burning their household trash, resulting in a lot of angry town folks.
Hopefully a few will come along with some better solutions for you.I know I dont have any!
Good Luck!

Good input so far. We currently don't have any OWB units in the town so grandfathering is not an issue - I have no idea if there are any furnace add ons or free standing stoves. We did have a fellow call this week and inquire about putting some kind of outdoor furnace right next to his house so he could run heat pipes in through his bathroom window. (We ask him to submit plans on what he is proposing to do).

Looks like small town mid America to me. As you know I own an OWB and I am not out in the middle of no where but my neighbors have no complaints. Lot size, set backs and stack heights would seem to me to be the best way to keep them from being installed in places that the smoke would be a nuisance to neighbors. Problem is that most of the laws I see proposed and passed are WAY too strict and have no provisions for grandfathering. My way of thinking about such is to let the people of the town decide it. Regulate and how strict to regulate or not to regulate at all. Way too many such things are decided and voted upon by elected, and unelected officials in spite of public opinion IMO but I am too getting political here (sorry mods) Good luck, your going to have pleased and POed residents no matter which way you go.

I'd rather see the rules be too strict than have the pollution from my next door neighbors smoke dragon lingering in my living room and there not be a damn thing I could do about it. Voting sounds well and good, but the people who would likely vote for loose regulations would also be the OWB owners (which would obviously have an agenda) or folks who would vote for loose regulations and don't own a OWB but don't want government intervention... although my guess is as soon as one popped up 50' from their house, their perspective would change!

Since there are no OWB in town, upsetting current owners is a non-issue. OWB's have no place in residential areas unless they have some form of truly functional pollution control. The best way of keeping them where they won't bother anyone is to have regulations in place to prevent them being there in before they ever start upsetting other land owners (which should have the right of clean air). I see nothing wrong with requiring 300'+ to the next house and a 500'+ stack elevation requirement.

banjo- Piping heat thru the window? Sounds like the Lil' House Heater. This is what I have, although not thru the window. Basically a wood burner much like in the house, just outside. Really can't burn anything except wood. Eliminates need for a masonary chimney or triple wall pipe. Mine uses 6" black pipe. I would say it would not be much different than a regular add on furnace. Check them out as you will have to anyway. I don't envy your position. Good luck.

It seems reasonable to me to require that the smoke stack be of a height which will keep the smoke up and away from neighbors.

And perhaps fines for burning plastic or toxic things.

FYI - I have a new EPA model woodstove which "reburns" the smoke before it leaves the woodstove. The smoke coming out of my chimney frequently can't be seen. However I have neighbors who have regular old fireplaces and these generate a bunch of smoke.

I hate to say it but ,the above would be the best guide line to follow!
Manufacturers spec is an easy out for you in this instance!
Becuase of the cramped areas in town I would suggest wood stove heat epa clean burn should be allowed only!

• Furnace should be located no less than 100 feet from any residence not served by
the furnace.
• If located within 100 feet to 300 feet to any residence not served by the furnace, it
is recommended that the stack be at least 2 feet higher than the peak of that
residence.
6. Always remember to comply with all applicable state and local codes.
Outdoor Furnace Manufacturers Caucus
Chimney Height Installation Scenario

This is impossible in town!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back