Help needed for Husqvarna 262 Xp Fixer upper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manugoss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a used Husqvarna 262 xp at a furniture auction. It appeared to have no compression so I bit accordingly. I paid around 30$. It has 90psi compression but still starts after 5 to 10 pulls and runs not too bad. Everything else seems to work but the esthetics of the saw is not very good. I had a peak at the piston from the exhaust port and found some scoring on it (see attach files). The intake port is in good shape.

My questions are:
What happened to the piston (lean mixture, improper mix?). Can I possibly save the cylinder with a good honing? If the piston is salvageable, should I put a new piston with rings and would a golf piston be Ok. Is a 262 Xp a good saw. I am very pleased with my 2 Shindaiwa 488, nothing to complain so I can hardly imagine how a 262 could fit my need but I am willing to give that Husqvarna a try for my bigger jobs in the wood. Thanks

What you'll probably want to do is pull the cylinder to get a better assessment of the piston and to see what condition the cylinder is in. Depending on how badly it's scored, you may just have to clean up the piston and cylinder and put a new ring on there. I've heard people on here talk about meteor pistons if a replacement is necessary, although I have no experience with them myself. As I'm sure the next few people will probably tell you, figure out what caused the scoring- was it years and years of use, bad mix/ straight gas, poorly tuned carb, air leaks, etc.- before you start putting money into it elsewhere.

From first glance that cyl may indeed clean up. But like was said you need to tear it down.

If your not sure on the cyl cleanup, Baileys has the piston and cyl for like $100. I have one on my saw and I can't complain about it and I have used it quite a bit.

These are GREAT firewood saws, the power to weight will relly impress you.
These saws are not without problems though. They will get leaks, most likely the cause of the scoring. Do a vacume and pressure test on it and fix the leaks before you get a new piston or cylider, or both, for this saw.
The other thing is they are notorious for eating coils. I would recomend you hunt one down and have it handy.

What do you mean by ''eating coils''. What kind of coil are you reffering to. I will try to get a pressure test and when it is done, I will have a look at the cylinder.

What do you mean by ''eating coils''. What kind of coil are you reffering to. I will try to get a pressure test and when it is done, I will have a look at the cylinder.

He meant ignition coil and to have a spare would not be a bad idea!
That saw is definately a good pro saw worth at least some money
put in to her.

It's difficult to assess the full extent of the damage without removing the P/C. In a high percentage of cases, there will be some material transfered to the liner, which can be removed and the liner gently sanded with fine autobody paper to clean it up.

If it has deep gouges in it, time for a new liner The pistons will often clean up pretty good as well. I've never once used an aftermarket P/C or piston, so have no idea what's good and what's not. Very conflicting reviews on them at times, so who knows which way to go there?

Depending on the overall condition and value of the saw, we try to go with new factory parts if the saw warrants that much expense. If it's a "clunker", we try to find a good used P/C from someone parting out a saw. There are a LOT of good deals on E-Bay for them.

In a high percentage of cases, you can get a new ring, and a piston if it is needed from a dealer. Pistons aren't that much, usually less than $80 with a ring pack, and most factory Husqvarna P/C's are around $180-220.

The 262XP is a very good saw, about as smooth, light and fast as it gets in the 60cc class. Well worth putting some time/funds into provided the basic saw is in good shape?......Cliff

Latest posts

Back