Help, Stihl 031 problem......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neubauer6

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a used Stihl 031AV that someone inherited. I was using it today and it was working great. I shut it off and set it down to move some blocks. When I tried to start it again, the pull-start seemed to have come "detached" from inside. The starter rope pulled very easy and wasn't contacting anything behind it. So I took the starting assembly off and it looks like there are two springs that hold two moveable arms in place that must lock in to the assembly when the rope is pulled. It appears that one is missing and the other has gone limp. Does replacing them sound like a likely solution to the problem? How do I get to the guts of the starter system that are behind the rope assembly? I started taking it apart and it looks like I might have to take the fuel lines and everything off? Any instruction would be fantastic!!! Thanks! I can post pictures later on tonight if that helps.

The best way to attack the problem is to remove the fuel tank. 3 screws around the starter, either 1 or 2 on the rear of the handle, (depending on the model) and 1 screw under the carb. (it should be an allen head scew) Un hook the fuel hose and the kill switch wire. Then the fuel tank will come off. You do not have to remove the flywheel! Take one screw out at a time where you know how it goes back together. The springs are still availible. I cant remember the part number right off but this is close. 0000-9??-1204. (I think). After you get both springs in place reassemble as you took the fuel tank off. Don't forget to hook the fuel line back up because it will make you wonder why it won't run. Good Luck!! Hope it helps!

The correct part number is 0000-998-1202. Sorry but I have no pictures. Use the search option on this site and you may find IPL and a service manual.

I actually have that manual in .pdf. However, it doesn't tell me how to get the fan housing off. Do I even have to take it off? It looks like I might be able to take one screw out at a time and replace the spring, then turn it to get to the other one.

1.jpg

I have replaced the springs with out taking the fuel tank off. With my huge hands, to me it is eaiser to remove the fuel tank. (it helps that I have done it many times also) Give it a try and if it gives to much trouble then take the fuel tank off.

Latest posts

Back