Help with gas line on Stihl ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saw765

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi
I have a stihl 021 with a bad gas line. Can someone tell me the steps to the easist way to change it?
Thanks

It's pretty easy.

1. Open fuel tank cap and fish out the filter using a hook made from a piece of wire. (about the wire guage of a hanger or a little smaller). There's not much slack so you're usually able to just barely get the filter out of the hole. A pair of curved jaw forceps can come in pretty handy.
2. Pull the filter off the end of the fuel line
3. Now remove the intake shroud and pry the molded grommet flange off the top entrance to the tank.
5. Now remove the other end from the carb.

Install in reverse order. It helps to lubricate the grommet and ends of the line with a little oil during reassembly.

Get a new filter. It isn't worth re-using the old one.

Last edited:
Thanks
So I dont have to remove the orange plastic stuff over the tank (what a pain) ??

Thanks
So I dont have to remove the orange plastic stuff over the tank (what a pain) ??

Sorry I don't remember. You might have to remove the air cleaner box and part of the handle to get to the grommet. As I remember it was an easy job.

ya you will have to remove that "orange stuff" and maybe even that dreaded carb.......or just throw the saw out and buy a new one

ya you will have to remove that "orange stuff" and maybe even that dreaded carb.......or just throw the saw out and buy a new one
Nah. It ain't that bad. No need to throw a perfectly good saw out. It can be done. I did mine last year and didn't know anything about how it worked. You do have to loosen that handle a bit from the tank to get some clearance, but it doesn't have to come all apart, and I've got some big fingers trying to shove that thing in that tight area. So, if I can do it, anybody can. There are some great people on here to help. Let us know if something doesn't look right, someone will get you straight. Good luck!

Welcome to the site by the way. Tip. put a little oil or something on the new fuel line gromet to make it easier to get in place. There's a flat side to that gromet if I recall correctly and it needs to be fulsh to the left or the tank opening if you will so it lines up inside the tank right.

Nah. It ain't that bad. No need to throw a perfectly good saw out. It can be done. I did mine last year and didn't know anything about how it worked. You do have to loosen that handle a bit from the tank to get some clearance, but it doesn't have to come all apart, and I've got some big fingers trying to shove that thing in that tight area. So, if I can do it, anybody can. There are some great people on here to help. Let us know if something doesn't look right, someone will get you straight. Good luck!

ya i did one last week, took about an hour, with a beer break, but watch the in-pulse line, i missed it the first time and had to do it a second time

It takes less then 5 minutes.

- Take off the carb (Push throttle on full and unhook the throttle rod at the handle).

- Rip out the old line.

- Lube the new fuel line's grommet and insert from the top.

- Pull from below with hemostats (carefully) and push slightly one side at a time from the top (a blunt screwdriver works...) . It will pop into place. Inspect from below and make sure the lower edge has come though the tank all around.

- put carb back on, install fuel filter and you're done.

No need to remove anything other than the carb.

Latest posts

Back