Help with Homie XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi again guys...I ran the little XL for a half hour or so yesterday cutting some 3" branches. The saw sounded a little rich to me, so I attempted to adjust the carb (first time ever). I didn't really know what I was listening for so I gave up after a little bit, but did notice oil was leaking from under the muffler and there was a good bit being sprayed from that area. Any hints on what to do here? I hope I didn't hurt anything. A little help on adjusting the carb would be great too. Thanks.

BTW...I only have two adjustment screws (one small, one big) I don't know what the bigger one is for? The small one is the high speed and the big one is chain oil adjustment????

The small screw is your low speed adjustment, the larger one is for your idle speed. There is no high speed adjustment on your carb (although some XL's did have it) There is also no way to adjust the chain oiler, usually the higher the saw revs the more oil it puts out.

It sounds like bar oil is being sucked back into the crankcase through the oiler hose in the tank. Split the saw case open and remove the oil tank. Drain everything out through a fine mesh filter, look for a tiny brass valve, its about maybe 1/8" wide and 1/2" long. This is a tiny check valve, it goes into the end of the oil hose and is meant to keep oil from being drawn back into the crankcase. The oil hose deteriorates over time and it will fall off. Use a drinking straw and blow air through the valve to make sure you put it in the right way. Air should be able to come into the tank but nothing should be able to come back out. If the oil lines are in really bad shape you might wanna replace them.

Hope this helped.

The hose that carries crankcase pressure pulses to the oil tank enters the oil tank just under the tank cover. It is fitted on the end with an inserted porous sleeve which is capped with a rubber "duck-bill" valve. If this valve and sleeve combo falls out of the line, then oil will be sucked back into the crankcase. If your line is soft and gooey ( they all go bad in time, especially with the crap we get in our gasoline these days ), replace it with a length of Tygon tubing. If the line is still good, you can use a small O-ring as a clamp to hold the sleeve in place. Leave a 1/16" gap between the duckbill and the hose end. This is to allow excess pressure in the oil tank to bleed off back into the crankcase.

Latest posts

Back