Holley 80555C 650 CFM 4175 Spread Bore Carburetor??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little FYI, Summit owns Trickflow so I bet they make the heads your looking at. I've read lots of reviews on comps xe268 cam. I think that cam likes around 9.5 to 1 compression. With decent heads and around 9.5 to 1 you should make closer to 400hp. I'd measure your pistons to see how far they are down in the hole. Most factory pistons arearound 0.025 down. If your having your engine decked, make sure you pick a head gasket that will give you a quench (distance between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cylinder head) of around .035-.045. This will definitely help control denotation and also allow you to run 9.5 with no issues at all.
I talked to a Summit tech rep and he said the heads are cast by a "major head manufacture", so you might be correct with your Trickflow assumption. I don't think that that's a bad thing, do you? Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a 350. I'm also going to use one cam smaller, Comp Cams XE262 instead of their XE268.

I have a set of trickflow heads, so if they make those heads your looking at thats a great deal. I bought a trickflow top end kit, so I'm running there lifters, cam, pushrods, rockers, and heads. Nice pieces if you ask me. I'd call comp cams before selecting your cam and tell them your set up your looking at running. It never hurts talking to everyone you can. They recommended a XE268 for my combo, but I ended going with a slightly bigger cam from Trickflow which is more like comps XE274. My goal was to get the most hp i could without digging into my bottom end. I'm pushing around 425hp in my 69 camaro, and my motor is awesome on the street and its so much fun. My cam likes a little more rear gear than 3.42's, but it works pretty good.

I have a set of trickflow heads, so if they make those heads your looking at thats a great deal. I bought a trickflow top end kit, so I'm running there lifters, cam, pushrods, rockers, and heads. Nice pieces if you ask me. I'd call comp cams before selecting your cam and tell them your set up your looking at running. It never hurts talking to everyone you can. They recommended a XE268 for my combo, but I ended going with a slightly bigger cam from Trickflow which is more like comps XE274. My goal was to get the most hp i could without digging into my bottom end. I'm pushing around 425hp in my 69 camaro, and my motor is awesome on the street and its so much fun. My cam likes a little more rear gear than 3.42's, but it works pretty good.

425HP (?).. with how many cubes and what compression?

I talked to a Summit tech rep and he said the heads are cast by a "major head manufacture", so you might be correct with your Trickflow assumption. I don't think that that's a bad thing, do you? Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a 350. I'm also going to use one cam smaller, Comp Cams XE262 instead of their XE268.

On a 350 with vortec heads with a 262 cam look at @350 hp with a nice torque curve. If you want more of a sleeper go with 383 internals and a 268 cam.

I am sorry about your Holley fiasco. I am used to them and are a pain to dial in! Most, if not all people over carb and over cam!!! and complain of stumble or bad gas mileage. With a street motor go to a carb no more then a 650cfm, that is all you will need at your level.

There are 2 main sizes of rottenchesters, @625 cfm and 725 cfm.

To set it up correctly you will need a 4 gas.

Paul61,

The kit I bought makes 425hp on a standard 350 with 9.5 to 1 compression. When TF tested the kit, they used a Vic jr manifold and a holley 750.

My 350 is .060 over, I'm running just shy of 9.5 to 1. I have an edelbrock performer RPM maniold, Trickflow heads 195cc heads with 62cc chambers, cam is 228I/234E duration at .050 and lift is .484I/.490E at .050. Got an edlebrock 600 carb jetting maxed out that is costing a few hp. But I'm probably end up with quickfuel 650 or 750 carb as soon as I finish paying for Baer rear disc brake kit i'm gonna be installing. I know I'm losing a few hp with the smaller carb and dual plane intake, but I'm more than making up for it with the .060 overbore.

Paul61,

The kit I bought makes 425hp on a standard 350 with 9.5 to 1 compression. When TF tested the kit, they used a Vic jr manifold and a holley 750.

My 350 is .060 over, I'm running just shy of 9.5 to 1. I have an edelbrock performer RPM maniold, Trickflow heads 195cc heads with 62cc chambers, cam is 228I/234E duration at .050 and lift is .484I/.490E at .050. Got an edlebrock 600 carb jetting maxed out that is costing a few hp. But I'm probably end up with quickfuel 650 or 750 carb as soon as I finish paying for Baer rear disc brake kit i'm gonna be installing. I know I'm losing a few hp with the smaller carb and dual plane intake, but I'm more than making up for it with the .060 overbore.

Dens, thanks for the info. & good luck with the car.
Just curious where the HP #'s came from?
Did a "little" racing myself a while back, still do perf. engine & chassis work from my shop.
I'm gathering a part (or 2) here & there for the next drag project, not decided on the body style but, the powertrain & chassis decisions have been made.
...it's a sickness I can't seem to shake!
:cheers:
Paul

Paul,

I hear you about the sickness. I bought my 69 camaro, just hoping to fix a few problems it had. Well 7 years later and more than double what i spent to buy the car, its closer to being finished. Just about everything has been replaced and upgraded. So much for my original plan. I also have a 96RS camaro that I bought new and still have. I want to build that into a race car if my son is interested in cars.

This is the kit I bought. Actually its 420hp not the 425hp, but I've read a few magazine articles where they used a few of TK engine kits and they made more hp than they advertised. Guess it really depends on the engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=trickflow 420hp&dds=1

Last edited:
Yup, speed is a terrible addiction.....:clap:
one of my sons is bugging me to build another drag car, I'm not sure I'll do the smart thing and say.............. NO!
I did the same as you wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.
Bought a 68 Firebird OHC 6 cyl for a cool street car in the late 70's.
Well, it never made it to the street. I back-halved it and built a 12:1 396.
The car went 11:60's @ 118 @ 3200lbs.
This evolved to 10:60's @130 MPH with a "stock" LS7 & turbo 400, BTW that's 6:70's in the eighth with "only" 550HP @ the wheels.
Then, after a "couple" of years layoff to build a new tube chassis...it went 8:50's @ 155 @ 2800 lbs. with a 13:1 462 & a glide.
The final evolution was the addition of a 10-71 blower, injected on alky & a one piece Camaro front clip.........results - 7.68 @ 179 MPH.
I had sold the car and was going to buy it back, unfortunately the new owner hit both guard rails on a "Quick 8" qualifying attempt & destroyed the car. :cry::cry:
I do lay claim to the world's fastest 12 bolt chev doorslammer!
If I build a new car, I'll set a goal for 200MPH: 632 BBC turbo'd, Lenco 4/5 speed = 2000+ HP @ the wheels.
Sorry, no Holley(s) this time out! :D
:cheers:
PAul

Wow, 7's. Can't even image the rush that must be. I def want more hp, but I'll have to make do with my current combo. At least now I can keep up with some of the newer cars on the road. Before i swapped the heads, it was a dog. I had old iron 882 smog heads, small edelbrock cam, low rise aluminum intake 307 gears in ten bolt. I got tried of having to shift my 4spd at 4200rpm because the engine hit a wall and wouldn't pull hard after 4200. Its definitely more fun now. I'm thinking my car would run mid 13's at best with the 3.42 gears and 17 rims I have.

Good luck with your next ride if you do decide to build it.

Latest posts

Back