home grown splitter off of garden tractor ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG BEAM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm new here and burn about 3 or 4 face cord a year,burn anthracite coal most of the year.I know booo...hisss... but I burn wood in the spring and fall in my ulefos stove.I have a 1967 wheelhorse tractor that I restored 8 yrs ago with a 12 H.P. kohler and hydrostatic.Has anyone tried to run a splitter off the hydraulics of a garden tractor.When I restored the tractor I sent the transmission to sunstran for rebuilding even though it was fine so it should be in good shape.I have a huge white oak that got hit by lightning and will be burning it for fire wood for a few years but after that I mostly buy wood but have to split it smaller to fit in my stove.It would be nice if I could run a splitter off the tractor hydraulics with just a couple quick connectors.
DON

I don't think it will work because for one thing you will not have enough oil to run any kind of ram big enough to split wood. You will need a 4 or 5 x 24 inch ram for a splitter and I'm sure the Wheel Horse will not have this much capacity.

Jim

Why couldn't you just tap into the hydro circuit with a larger fluid tank, serviceable fluid filter, fluid cooler and the like. I think it could be done if you did it right.

Basically a transaxle

Why couldn't you just tap into the hydro circuit with a larger fluid tank, serviceable fluid filter, fluid cooler and the like. I think it could be done if you did it right.

Better off to just find a used engine and pump and tank setup.. Or keep an eye peeled for a used splitter.

buttttttttttt--on another forum i attend--one guy did just that--as your not using the hydrostat when your splitting wood---and i dont know how he turned the pressure up--but i know he did some---he had a 5 in cyl--and a extra oil tank to allow for the cyl oil--how large he could break????? but it worked for him---you can cut the line and tap in--then use the hyd connectors like deere uses on the l&g tractors---

How about running it from the belt drive that runs the blades/attachments. Just use it to turn a pump on a splitter.

Ian

Thats what I was going to say. Through belts and pulleys, you should be able to produce enough rpms to power a pump off the engine pulley.

You can use a Powerking or an economy

buttttttttttt--on another forum i attend--one guy did just that--as your not using the hydrostat when your splitting wood---and i dont know how he turned the pressure up--but i know he did some---he had a 5 in cyl--and a extra oil tank to allow for the cyl oil--how large he could break????? but it worked for him---you can cut the line and tap in--then use the hyd connectors like deere uses on the l&g tractors---

They have a regular pump in line. Used for the lift cylinder and other hydraulic attachments.

Actually, the Ingersol tractors have a hydrolic splitter you can buy as an attachment. I belive they actually use the motor to run a hydrolic pump, which they use to run motors for the drive system and deck. Little different setup than most lawn and garden tractors. I've got a dealer for them in my town, otherwise I probably wouldn't even know they exist.

How about running it from the belt drive that runs the blades/attachments. Just use it to turn a pump on a splitter.

Ian

:agree2: I would figure out how to run off the PTO or engine itself. My wifes uncle had a small wheelhorse and hooked a waterpump on it to get water out of his cistern.Kinda neat.:)

From what I remember the pump runs at about 2000 psi.There are 2 ports on the trans for hooking up a lift cylinder that will lift any attachment,snowblower,mower ect.I don't know how many GPM the pump does,but it's a HUGE pump.The trans is about 275 lbs and is made of cast iron and has cooling fins and a fan/pulley belt drive.Mine is a manual lift so the feed and return ports(1/2") are pluged off.A friend of mine had the hydro lift so that's why I know what the ports are for.
Thanks for the help so far
DON

:agree2: I would figure out how to run off the PTO or engine itself. My wifes uncle had a small wheelhorse and hooked a waterpump on it to get water out of his cistern.Kinda neat.:)

BTW Wheelhorse made a 5500W generator for the PTO back in the day.They also made a rototiller that ran off the trans.
DON

Better off to just find a used engine and pump and tank setup.. Or keep an eye peeled for a used splitter.

If this turns out to not be feasible I'm thinking of getting a 20 ton powerhorse from NT.I know it's not a HD splitter but the size,features(splits both ways)are what I like with this splitter.Any BIG wood my friend can cut with his saw and then I can take it from there.

Does anyone have one of these or a friend that does or even seen one of these splitters.I cant find many testimonials about this splitter.
THANKS DON

If memory serves me correct it would not be very wise to run off of one belt but now if you had two and a electric clutch that would be a different story.:popcorn:

Back