Home made bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skid row

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
attachment.php

This guy built this two cylinder diesel powered bandsaw. The saw is pulled along the trailer by a chain connected to a gear motor.
He takes it to some shows to let people see how it works. They are milling tulip poplar. As the lumber comes off the mill they are using it to build a nice shed on the left.

The guy in the red cap built and operates the mill. The other guy is the one building the shed. This is at the national pike steam show on route 40 just outside of brownsville pa. about an hour south of pittsburgh.

The guy in the red cap built and operates the mill. The other guy is the one building the shed. This is at the national pike steam show on route 40 just outside of brownsville pa. about an hour south of pittsburgh.

Thanks skidrow, too bad... that's about $200 worth of gas there and back. Pics's will have to do.

I wouldn't mind building one, I see that there are a lot of plans out there. Anyone have any insight on which plan is the best/most simple? Looks like most of them use trailer stub axles, rims and tires to run the band on, but in my head I can't figure out how to set up a drive for it.....I guess weld a pulley onto the rim...

LAZER

I wouldn't mind building one, I see that there are a lot of plans out there. Anyone have any insight on which plan is the best/most simple? Looks like most of them use trailer stub axles, rims and tires to run the band on, but in my head I can't figure out how to set up a drive for it.....I guess weld a pulley onto the rim...

LAZER

I didn't use rims & tires on mine, I used 19" sheaves with v-belts. If I had it to do over I'd use a bigger sheave.
I made my own plans by studying different manufacturers mills. I added what I liked & deleted what I didn't. A lot of trial & error.
Here's a picture of the drive side.

Bandmill001.jpg

Andy

Looks heavy duty.I noticed you used 2 pillow blocks.Does that give it alot more stability? Would 2 be needed if using regular bandwheels? I'm thinking on building one. Mark

Looks heavy duty.I noticed you used 2 pillow blocks.Does that give it alot more stability? Would 2 be needed if using regular bandwheels? I'm thinking on building one. Mark

If you're going to use pillow blocks you will have to use 2 on each side. I think Cook's has a bearing setup, but I used the pillow blocks because I can get them at any bearing supply.
It won't mater what kind of wheels you use you'll have to have 2 bearings for any stability in the shaft.

Andy

I didn't use rims & tires on mine, I used 19" sheaves with v-belts. If I had it to do over I'd use a bigger sheave.
I made my own plans by studying different manufacturers mills. I added what I liked & deleted what I didn't. A lot of trial & error.
Here's a picture of the drive side.

Bandmill001.jpg

Andy

Thank you so much for that picture - that's a great idea for a cost effective, well-balanced wheel! Been looking for good wheel options for a homebuilt Ripsaw knockoff - that might just be the ticket.

Here's another view of the tensioner.
Bandmill012.jpg

This is the PTO on the 1600cc VW engine.
Bandmill016.jpg

Here's a view of the engine showing the shaft & a carrier bearing to keep side tension down.
Bandmill018.jpg

Andy

This is the "overhead" hydraulic tank, and some of the bird nest of plumbing to the lift motor.
Bandmill019.jpg

This is a coolant resivoir from some kind of car that I adapted for a blade lube tank. You can see the windshield washer pump that puts the lube on the blade.
Bandmill020.jpg

Andy

Back