Homelite 340 (Solo) trials and tribulations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So..I got this thing off eBay for 75 dollars. Wondered why so cheap..until I ran it. Sounds nice. Starts right up. Gutless. Heavy.

Since its a nice looking saw, I figured it might be fun to try and make useful.

First was a year of new chains, tuning thecarb etc..and using it. Gutless. To the point it never was picked for anything but barn carpentry.

So my friends (Another Board Member) decided to add some of his magic, and modded the muffler..(A very nice job I might add, he's a perfectionist)

AND it runs much better along wit the new 16inch bar & chain I added. Its now usefull. It will now match and might even beat my 440e. (340 is still 3 lbs heavier than the 440e) No where close to the 455 yet....which is my goal. (As its almost the same weight, the 340 is still a bit heavier than the Husky 455)

One thing we have noticed, it has a tiny carburator and intake port. I'm thinking of opening up that port and putting a carb from another 55 - 60cc saw such as a Husqvarna 359.any thoughts? I want this 340 to run like a stock 60cc saw. It should, its 54cc's

Looks as though (Curtousy of Edge & Engine) there is an INSERT inside the intake port and a separate intake manafold (Tiny ID), attached to a tiny (HU63A Tillotson) Carb.

(Its a Zero minus Zero situation (still equals zero) for that saw anyway so it might as well be hacked for knowledge)

Last edited:
Go Easy

On the intake mods. The piston in these has a shortened skirt on the intake side unlike most saws which you read about modding on this site. There's a possibility that removing the insert and going bigger on the port and carb will be way too much intake! This engine is one that should be degreed prior to grinding........Bob

That certainly makes sense. Thanks. That little Intake manifold will be a limiting factor too, I'm afraid.. ..unless I build something different to replace it. I was in the mind set of widening (if possible) vs. changing the timing and then trying to open up the intake manifold to take advantage of the wider intake port...I can't even imagin what the design goals were for turning that saw into a "weaser" by restricting the intake so much.

pics

can you give some pics of the inside of the jug?

maybe there is an obvious bottleneck.

Back