homemade secondary air injection questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Building a new wood stove, dimensions as follows :
54 " tall; 30" in diameter; hot water coil takes up top 24";
bottom 8" inches taken up by shaker grates, which leaves me with a firebox
approx. 30" wide X 32" tall

Would like to use fan-induced draft but not sure, may be normally aspired
Would like to add secondary air for combustion, was thinking of using stainless steel barbecue grill flame manifolds for secondary air injection manifolds

1) When running secondary air for combustion, what percentage of air do you think goes through secondary versus primary? 2)Do you start out with all primary and switch some over to secondary at a certain time in the burn?
(Would need to know to fab air induction valving)

3) Don't have glass door so do I need to add a peephole to see if secondary combustion is working or not ? 4) Do my manifolds need to be above a baffle or below a baffle ?

Any and all comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for help, trying to get this project buttoned up and burning.

Up to 50% of the heating potential of many woods is lost if you do not get (and capture the heat from) secondary combustion. I think you will have difficulty keeping that large tall space hot enough to maintain it. I think for that reason the water heating coil should not be up there but rather down low. The amount f secondary combustion air depends on where in the burn you are. Once down to mostly coals and the volitiles driven off you have no more potential for secondary burn and dont need the air up high. Most EPA stoves are fixed at a compromise ratio but only do well with dry wood. They tend to be low ceilinged to heat up and burn the gasses down close to the top of the fire. You then need surface area beyond without fire brick to transfer the heat to the room but you have to keep as much heat as possible into the fire initially to ensure good secondary combustion. In effect you need a two compartment stove. I think the Jotuls operate on that idea. You might get some ideas if you look up wood gasification heaters.

Back