horizontal flywheel inertia splitter?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdturd9726

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
looking to start firewood sales for my landscaping company.
need a good splitter. A local has a horizontal flywheel inertia splitter (no hydraulics, its powered by a belt and it commanded when to slip via a lever pulled by the operator). I was very impressed with this machine, but don't want to let him know i will be doing firewood.) I want to know what company makes this splitter. I believe it had a honda gas engine. It had a large tray on it. It was not trailer mounted. It had 2 large back wheels then a pedestal to hold the tray up. It was pretty heavy duty. The guy said he splits 15 cords a day. If you would know this company or another company, please advise. Thanks!!!!

same exact idea and design, but im not sure if it was a supersplit. It didn't have a cover like that. you saw the flywheel. If theirs any other brands based on that design, let me know so i can check them out. thanks

btw.. any cons with the supersplit?

I would much rather let someone who has one chime in on that. I have heard some people say it is not the best on the twisted knotty stuff, but others say it does fine. I will let the experts chime in for an experienced opinion. Sorry I can't help more, but I do not want to give bad advice.

thanks a lot for being honest.
hopefully someone will help.

on the video page of the site, it looks like the last video on the bottom, and he maybe took off the cover of the flywheel. It has that type of operation handle, not the pull knob.

the first video the guy pulls up on a knob, the second one its a lever.
have you had any experience with this splitter?

knots, like in the wood where the branches were.
not knobs

and no I have never used that type of splitter. I use an 8# maul exclusively.

It sounds like the Super Split to me. I have the SSHD with the 6hp Robin engine and I'm very happy with it...here's a picture. IMO splitting knotted wood is not one of the most enjoyable activities no matter what type/size splitter you are using but it seems to to the benchmark on which the Super Split's ability is constantly questioned. My experience with knotted wood (of which, fortunately, a small portion of my supply comes from) is that it's not an issue. Some careful positiong and a couple of hits has done the trick for me everytime. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

I realize tools are as safe as their operator, but those look scary fast to me.

That's one of the selling points!
I suppose he's got employees doing risky jobs every day so this machine would probably be the least of his worries. I just imagine the lowest paid, hung over, employee being given the job of feeding it. Call me a worry-wart. LOL

I agree...I'm a one man operation and even if I hired someone I wouldn't let them use it. I won't even let friends or relatives borrow or use it. There's plenty of ways to mangle yourself with all sorts of power equipment but the shear speed of the SS takes away a lot of the margin for error.

knots, like in the wood where the branches were.
not knobs

and no I have never used that type of splitter. I use an 8# maul exclusively.

i was talking about the handle to engage it, not knots in the wood lol

would the special edition supersplit be considered a commercial machine?
I need it to split 500+ cords of wood each season

Back