Horse Chestnut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really easy to mill, just be aware the there quite often alot of spirl grain in horse chestnut. Look at the bark for a idea if it has it, if it does the don't mill it, only good for firewood.If you do mill it, the wood is quite pale but often has rippling and curling. If you using it for furniture, make sure it is well seasoned and use new planer blades. What you wanting to make with it, I hope I've been of some help.

Nothing yet. My neighbor has a horse chestnut tree and wants to take it down. He's disabled and can't really afford to have it removed. Not sure why he wants to get rid of it as it seems healthy. So I might end up with a tree to mill later this year.

On the west coast horse chestnut is another name for california buckeye. It is somewhat popular with turners and the wood is sometimes stabilized and or dyed for use as knife scales or pens. I have never milled any but would jump at the chance. havng never seen any horse chestnut lumber I suspect it may be dificult to dry and would be inclined to mill it on the thick side.

It's well worth milling as i've seen fence posts over a hundred years old still standing out of it.It doesn't seem to rot too easy.

Latest posts

Back