HOT Clutch Cover!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamtjewboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am milling lumber with a granberg chainsaw mill and a beefed up 3120xp. the clutch cover is getting so hot that i can't touch it. i bought the saw new and the sticker on the clutch cover is melted half off already. is that normal? the chain brake doesn't seem to be too tight and causing friction...but i am wondering if the clutch is spinning and making things so hot. the clutch looks black and toasty. i'm not sure how chainsaws are supposed to work (ideally). does the clutch stay engaged on the sprocket drum without spinning at all unless it is idling? and even then it should retract and not really be touching the drum, right? could the clutch be spinning because of the massive power of the saw or other another reason? would the heat be from the chain on the sprocket itself? the longest boards i have cut so far are 12' long..and even then i don't cut it in one continuous shot; i stop and rest the saw (and me) a little through out the cut. i have wondered if milling itself is just harder on the saw. thanks -nick

I suspect you have weak clutch springs or badly worn shoes. Does the chain run at idle?

If you "bog" the saw a lot (milling...), it will also slip the clutch and generate a lot of heat. The heat will mess up the springs, making more heat..

Have had similar in the past.Sprocket worn or chain to tight!!! Hows the chain and sprocket look for wear ?
How often are you sharpening ? Are there any abnormal noises ? If you are
picking up any ab/n !! ?
Can you take off the clutch drum and check out retainers/ just look to see if
every thing is seated / you'll soon see if theres something amiss/BROKEN !!!!
New saw ? Would'nt think the springs would be gone !!!!
JUST RUNNING THROUGH POSSIBILTIES !!!!
Have you bogged down the saw much ?

Happy birthday Lakesidean thanks again

Last edited:
hot clutch

i rarely bog it down and am careful to back off when i do. it is brand spankin' new and did this from the very first cut. i'll take it apart and look at it. thanks

You have already heard from folks with more knowledge than me, but it seems like that kind of heat ca only come from a slipping clutch or messed up brake..friction.

Also when you take the clutch apart and really clean it up, I think you should try standard dino bar oil. I am a big fan of bio bar oil and use it nearly exclusively in 3 of my saws, but I personally would be uncomfortable milling with it. I don't think it stands up to heat and grime as well, it starts to transform into a sort of resin.

I have a friend who is in the business of manufacturing waste oil heaters, and they are finding burning waste vegetable oil a problem because of a problem with a "plastic" forming that plugs jets, etc.

I've never got mine to hot to handle but they get pretty hot if I push them to hard or use dull chain or chain not ground to a good angle for ripping.:dizzy:

B Turner,
the saw did this before i started using the bio bar and chain oil so i don't think that has anything to do with it. i have noticed the plasticy build up on the bar...it's doesn't seem to build up on the cutters or rakers so i haven't thought it would cause any problems. i am going to try soaking the chains in some kind of solvent when they get really caked. do u know any ways to get it off easily?

gumnuts,
thanks for the ideas. the sprocket is brand new and i check the tension often. if anything i have it on the loose side. noises...i wear plugs and muffs since the saw has modded cylinder and muffler...i can't hear much...but there is a clicking i have wondered about. i sharpen a lot! i think i do a good job at it as it will throw putty chunky dust and some longer strings. it moves along through the wood very well...maybe i am pushing too hard and should back off a little. thanks for all ur ideas. -nick in va

Latest posts

Back