Hot water hookup for Shaver OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I have a Shaver 165 coming this weekend and I still have to figure out the thermostat control for the hot water heater. Do I just use a control for an electric hot water heater and wire it to the pump? I have everything plumbed in and ready except for getting the pump hooked in.

I am using a Taco 007 pump located in my basement right next to the gas water heater.

Thanks for your help!

I copied the following directly from the Shaver site, hope it helps:

Hooking up the Hot Water Heater

With an electric hot water heater, we recommend that you remove the pop-up valve and replace it with a 3/4" nipple and a T for your incoming water. Put the pop-up valve back on one side of the T and the circulating pump on the other.

Remove the drain and do the same, putting in a T with the drain on one side and the outgoing water (Pex Pipe) on the other.

Put a surface mount thermostat beside, above or below the bottom element. About $5 - 8 at your local hardware store. Wire it so that 110V goes to one side of the thermostat and the other side is wired to the pump. Common goes straight to the pump, as well as a ground wire.

You just saved $200 for a less efficient side-arm or plate heat exchanger! You can still use the heater as normal. Simply turn the thermostat down lower on the hot water heater than on the thermostat just installed, or turn off your breaker for the pump (or unplug it).

heat-exchanger-hot-water-hookup.jpg

Gas Hot Water Heater

For a gas heater, there is usually a plate than can be removed to gain access to the tank itself. Simply mount the thermostat on the tank and follow the other instructions for water hookup above.

water-heater-hookup2-sm.jpg

thanks...I had read thru that and called the hardware store. They were confused about the application and that in turn got me to questioning things. I'm pretty sure all I need is a thermostat for an electric hot water heater. I can attach that to my tank and run the power to the pump from the thermostat. Pretty simple to me now...let's see if I can get the hardware guys to understand :)

Thanks for taking the time to find and copy that...I appreciate all the information that I am getting through this site.
:cheers:

Back