How Does Dirt Dull a Chainsaw Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dull chain is more dangerous than a sharp chain for sure. Both will do a lot of damage in a split second, and if its dull and being pushed hard, it's over before you know it
i mite tend to agree with that. dull and mine just smoke! and i then get signals... it's all but over! lol...

signals: in a split second,

1697219867035.png

View attachment 1057297
Cutting into dirt dulls a chainsaw chain” - I know that. ( In fact, I've lost 4 of my chainsaw chains this way!)
But I'm curious to know the SCIENCE behind it.
Dirt is soft, wood is much HARDER, then how come dirt dulls a chainsaw chain (almost) INSTANTLY?
This question might sound a bit “newbish 🐸,” but I'm sure there're some people here who want to know the same.
So, if you know the answer, HIT ME with it! Also, any tips on how to prevent a chainsaw from hitting the dirt would be appreciated! Happy Sawing! 🙂

good question/post... well, imo! but then again... i may be pred... as man is from Texas! 🤩 :blob2:

1697219598363.png
:givebeer:

View attachment 1057297
Cutting into dirt dulls a chainsaw chain” - I know that. ( In fact, I've lost 4 of my chainsaw chains this way!)
Also, any tips on how to prevent a chainsaw from hitting the dirt would be appreciated!
Happy Sawing! 🙂
well, perhaps we can take a... (pardon pun) tip from the ski slopes and riding the chair! ~

1697219771419.png

Latest posts

Back