How long will it last ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much, the edges of the creek and smaller feeders freeze, and the occasional ice storm, but it doesn't stay around too long. I'm going to be spending more time in Manitoba, so i guess i'll learn alot of these Yank terms!

BobOak,

5 years ago I milled out my own fence (for decoration, but it would hold cattle with no problem).

100 fence posts 4*4, 300 boards 1 *6, and 300 boards 4" by 36" for the face cap. Posts were made from Black Locust, and the boards from locust and some white oak.

If you want to mill that many pieces of lumber, You're well justified to buy a bandsaw mill, or something faster than the chainsaw mill. For the above, it was a lot of work, and I have a manual bandsaw mill -TA Schmid.

Buy a chainsaw to cut down and buck the timber to length, not for milling.

A small bandsaw mill would pay for itself with this project alone.

My 2 cents.

Jwoods said:
BobOak,

5 years ago I milled out my own fence (for decoration, but it would hold cattle with no problem).

100 fence posts 4*4, 300 boards 1 *6, and 300 boards 4" by 36" for the face cap. Posts were made from Black Locust, and the boards from locust and some white oak.

If you want to mill that many pieces of lumber, You're well justified to buy a bandsaw mill, or something faster than the chainsaw mill. For the above, it was a lot of work, and I have a manual bandsaw mill -TA Schmid.

Buy a chainsaw to cut down and buck the timber to length, not for milling.

A small bandsaw mill would pay for itself with this project alone.

My 2 cents.
You are probably correct.

Latest posts

Back