How to set flywheel seal on a 268xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a minute, but flush on the inside I believe. Doesn’t really matter as long as it clears the fw, rides up on the flat part above the taper and isn’t rubbing on the bearing race
I split the difference :p. The one I pulled out was driven all the way down…made it a pita to get out. I drove this one to just below the taper and with plenty of room for the FW. Thanks.

I split the difference :p. The one I pulled out was driven all the way down…made it a pita to get out. I drove this one to just below the taper and with plenty of room for the FW. Thanks.
There are two different designs on that chassis. When I said “flush with the inside“, I was talking about the other design that has the plastic or metal cap with three screws. You tap the seal into that and then screw the cover on. The other design (like you have) is like most where it typically goes flush with the lower part of the angled or beveled area.

There are two different designs on that chassis. When I said “flush with the inside“, I was talking about the other design that has the plastic or metal cap with three screws. You tap the seal into that and then screw the cover on. The other design (like you have) is like most where it typically goes flush with the lower part of the angled or beveled area.
I wondered about that cover. Only notice it in the early versions.

I wondered about that cover. Only notice it in the early versions.
Yeah that seal carrier was only used on the the early two piece ign case half like 266, 61, 66 etc. It was not used on the 268Xp and 272XP though the three mounting holes are still there. This eliminated one more o-ring with the potential to become a leak.

Back