how to use chainsaw safely?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There are thousands of people who get injured for using a chainsaw improperly each year. Here are some of my points to use a chainsaw safely.

chose a chainsaw with safety features

When you are using a chainsaw and trying to touch the tip of the guide bar on something while sawing, the chainsaw would tend to bounce off, or what is called kickback, because the chain is moving at incredibly high speed. This would often result in horrific injuries to your face or shoulder because of the dramatic kickback.

Choosing a chainsaw with a hand guard brake, safety throttle, and chain catcher should be given your top priority.

Choose a low kickback chain is also helpful.

But I also have a question: Are low kickback chains less aggressive than other chains?

You can also put on wearable protection.

such as a safety helmet, eye-protective glasses, earplugs, gloves, saw chaps, or a set of cutting aprons. These protections seem to make you look silly, but they may save your life critically.

And there are some cutting tips:

1. Cutting below your waist level
2. Keep a stable stance when you are cutting.

Choosing a chainsaw with a hand guard brake,
I don't know about you or others in my opinion it is the inertia brake that triggers shall we call it if the nose catches and a kickback occurs. I am sure there is a difference in how sensitive these things are from model a to model b and perhaps depending how much debris has accumulated in the mechanism.
Choose a low kickback chain is also helpful.

But I also have a question: Are low kickback chains less aggressive than other chains?
Folks have a whole thread on here about this lately. When new the bumper drive link type reduced kickback chain seems pretty similar to the same make and model without it. Probably a bit more frustrating as the cutters are sharpened back.

I don't know about you or others in my opinion it is the inertia brake that triggers shall we call it if the nose catches and a kickback occurs. I am sure there is a difference in how sensitive these things are from model a to model b and perhaps depending how much debris has accumulated in the mechanism.

Folks have a whole thread on here about this lately. When new the bumper drive link type reduced kickback chain seems pretty similar to the same make and model without it. Probably a bit more frustrating as the cutters are sharpened back.
You are right. How much debris in the mechanism may partly impact the stability.

Back