How would you guys translate this statement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've got a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert upstairs and it gets the main floor decently warm (mainly a circulation issue).

We're remodeling (finishing) our basement and I'm thinking of putting something like this Lennox model in place of the Menard's special we have now. The Montecito's actually really beautiful - I'd love to have one. :)

Here's the problem - we JUST had the masonry flue re-lined with 40' of ovalized 6inch flex. The lennox asked for 7"...

Any thoughts on using the 6" or am I going to have to get back up there and re-do the liner?

I am not sure what type pipe you have, but the chimney pipe we hope to have installed for our Montecito is 6" diameter ASHT+. I also plan to use the fireplace as much as possible once it gets installed. Our house is a 1047 sq. ft ranch and with muffin fans to distribute the heat down the hallway to the bedrooms we should be toasty.

Also take a gander at the Quadrafire 1700.

Had a look at it.... if it will run you out of a 2500sq ft house with 18' ceilings, it's probably a little too much for my 1750 and 8' ceilings. I think it's a little big physically for the room I want to put it in too. I have a hard time imagining the fireplace installed from a looks standpoint. I'm no interior designer, that's for certain.
The Montecito might be a little underpowered for my place and at best will serve as supplemental, even run all the time anyway. We shall see.

thanks,
Ian

Central Boiler

My CB OWB has the same disclaimer in the owner's manual. I think it's a CYA thing for the whole industry......BURN AWAY !!!!!!:clap:

We'll be trying to heat ~1750sq ft with the Monticeto, 2 levels, 1000 downstairs and the rest upstairs.

Ian

Ian,
Keep in mind that heat rises. Once you have the place warm, it won't take nearly as much heat to keep it warm. By heating the downstairs, you're making it possible for the upstairs to benefit from the rising heat by way of a stairwell or floor vents.

My hardcoal stove is in the basement at the east end of the house(26x48). The floor and walls are poured concrete, and the basement ceiling is finished drywall. After the stove has the basement warmed up, the upstairs floors are warm, and you can feel a definite draft in the front, center stairwell. We have no floor vents, but the kitchen, dining room, and living room all stay toasty. It cools a bit on the west end, but if you leave the doors open, it remains mid 60s back there while the living room is mid 70s

We have a woodstove in the other house being built. It is also in the poured basement(32x40) with 1-1/2 story log house above. Its 24' from the floor to the peak of the ceiling above the living room. The loft is above the kitchen/dining room which is open into the living room, so 20x32 is open for 2 floors. The other side is the (2) bedrooms and bathrooms. We have run the Quadrafire 4300 steptop, and it seems to have no problem maintaining temperature by itself once the place is warm. I'm planning on adding some floor vents into the bathrooms to enhance heat flow there.
Primary heating and cooling is by heatpump which wasn't yet working when we were last there, and a black porcelin propane stove will also be in the living room for decor more than functionality.

The upstairs is uninhabited except for the cats. There are 2 spare bedrooms and a bath up there. It's always at least 5 deg warmer up there than anyplace downstairs. I'm trying to come up with a fan and vent of some kind that will blow the warm air from upstairs down to our master bedroom on the first floor to keep the warm air circulating.

Kind of a reverse fan-powered version of your floor vent. Instead of it allowing the heat to rise, I want it to pump the heat back downstairs.

Ian

Had a look at it.... if it will run you out of a 2500sq ft house with 18' ceilings, it's probably a little too much for my 1750 and 8' ceilings. I think it's a little big physically for the room I want to put it in too. I have a hard time imagining the fireplace installed from a looks standpoint. I'm no interior designer, that's for certain.
The Montecito might be a little underpowered for my place and at best will serve as supplemental, even run all the time anyway. We shall see.

thanks,
Ian

Haywire,

I will only run you out if ya run it WFO, full blower, while burning seasoned Sasafrass and three year seasoned Cherry with the intake air well below freezing. To moderate the temp, just throttle her back to where you like it, and it will self adjust the temp and keep it there. In the spring and fall, just chunk a single 8-12" round in there on the coals, and it will stay cozy unless ya open it up

Got her keeping the place at 73 right now @ 3/4 throttle, while burning Piss elm,Cherry, and some greenish silver Maple. It's 16 outside.

If I can figure out the pics thing I'll post a shot. The numbers in relationship to the room don't mean squat to me either. I gotta see things in real time.
If a local dealer has a showroom, it's worth it to eyeball all of 'em before ordering. I thought the Villa Vista was almost too big for the room untill I saw it installed, then "realized" thanks to the wife pointing things out, a larger firebox would look better as a "fireplace". LOL!! I guess I ain't a decorator either.;)

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

Back