Hull Oaks Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was nifty... I'd love to see it in action, but I suppose they don't allow spectators for liability reasons. Good thing it's 3000 miles away from me or I'd want to try and get in. Thanks for posting that.

I live about 75 miles from the mill. Went there on a saturday, operation was shut down for the weekend. Want to go back on a week day.
You have never seen such beautiful Douglas Fir timbers, I was awe struck.
I think they are the last mill in Oregon that can handle the big wood.
What I would like to do is video tape the operation and then post that.
Will try to work on it.

That's a beautiful mill. And some brave souls working there. You'll never catch me standing that close to one of those big bands, I've seen them break before and it's just shrapnel everywhere.

The great thing about mills like that is that they have such a niche market that they will remain largely unaffected by the downturn in lumber prices.

I took my mill past there about a month ago on the way to milling job. They are about 50 miles north of me.

Kinda surprised OSHA allows them to run with out making a very long list of safety improvements. Start with putting a pipe pole in the off bears hand and putting a guard between him and the saw as that is a major pinch point.

Aside from the safety aspect of things, it is good to take a step back in time to how the older mills worked.

I spent 17 years in the big mills, but it was on the other end of the spectrum. We had the newest most advanced, computerized equipment available. The mill was even built on the third floor to allow for an automated waist removal system. When it was built in 1978, it was the very first fully computerized mill in the world and it replaced a mill just like Hull Oaks mill. It has been retooled several times in the last three decades and has become one of the leading mills in production, technology and safety.

I showed that site to my uncle, who used to be a foreman at the mill I used to work at years ago. It is a huge 3-line mill capable of putting out a million and a half board feet in a single day. Anyway they used to fly all the foremen and managers down to some huge industry show in Portland, I can't remember if it was annual or not. They also went around and toured a few mills throughout Oregon at times too. And he said it stunned him at how much more technologically advanced our mills were up here than most (not all) down in Washington/Oregon. I know this is even the case with a lot of the old mills down around Vancouver and on Vancouver Island, they just haven't been updated and it's no wonder they can't compete with the cost-effectiveness of the new equipment. There is a mill in a town a few hours north of here that was said to be capable of putting out well over a million board feet a shift,

He also said that years ago he went through a mill that his wife's uncle used to work at just outside Tacoma, Washington. It was a big single-band carriage mill like that, and apparently the off-bearer used to have to put his shoulder against the slab directly opposite the saw in the event that it started sawing a bit of a bow in the log. Just the friggin' slab between your head and the band! I couldn't even watch someone else doing that, let alone do it myself. Which is another thing that astounds me, is the complete lack of any kind of safety protocol at that Hull-Oaks mill. No hardhats, loose clothing like hoodies, probably no steel-toes either, no guards to be seen on any of the saws or moving parts/pinch points... That mill could never operate up here.

Latest posts

Back