Husky 346XP Chain Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hansenj11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Husky 346XP. I was looking online at baileys for a new chain. I had wondered what the pitch means. What does the gauge mean. Which is the best chain for duribility and cutting fast.

Your bar will have stamps on it near the back with all the info you need to know. Pitch is the distance between centers of the rivets on the links. Gauge is how wide the groove is in the bar. Yours will be .050. Pitch could .325 or possibly .375. Also the bar will say how many drive links for the chain.The Oregon website has a tutorial on chainsaw chain lingo.

As far as I know the 346XP was delivered in the US with .325" x .050" chain. The bar should be marked with the appropriate chain size. Mine has been changed to .375 x .050.

.325 or .375 refers to link length, and it must match th drive sprocket and bar end sprocket. The .050 (or .043, .058, .063) refers to the width of the drivers, and need to match the groove in the bar.

I don't think that there will be a big difference in cutting speed with either .325 or .375(assuming the 50cc 346XP), but if you're cutting hardwood, round chisel or semi chisel should require less sharpening.

Latest posts

Back