Husky 351

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a real saw. I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and decided to join. I am interested in the best saw for my money. I've been looking at the Husky 55, 55 Rancher, 350, 351, and the Stihl MS290. I want to cut firewood, mostly cherry and oak, 10-20" in dia is the general size. I will have to fell them, limb, and block as one would expect. I need a low vibe saw as I have some hand tingling problems. I like the 55, but wish to know how the 351 compares as it has lower vibration. I currently have a Poulan Wildthing which has been surprisingly good for the home, but lacks power, even though it always runs well.
I want to buy one saw that is quality, low vibe, lightweight, and fast cutting but has enough power tackle a bigger tree if required. I think the 350 has a plastic bottom end and different porting than the 351, and the 351 has a magnesium bottom end. I don't want to be into more than around $350, so am I looking at the right saw? Just wondering how the 351 compares to the others I metioned or perhaps there are other saws out there I am not aware of.
Please help.

Thumper

Beg, borrow, or steal a few more bucks and buy a Stihl 026.

It's power output exceeds that of the Husky 55's and it's weight is in the class of the lower powered Husky 350's. (ie best of both worlds).

The 026 is really a nice saw and has a very good reputation in the field.

The MS290 wouldn't even be on my short list. For that kind of weight you might as well get a 044. (I'd even prefer a good used 044 to a brand new MS290)

I'd outfit the 026 with a 18" bar and .325 pitch chain for lowest vibration. (you can go up to 24" with a 026, but I wouldn't)

If you absolutely have to stay below $350 than I'd get one of the Husky 55's. They also have an excellent reputation in the field.

Thumper,

I agree with Davefr completely. If you can just scrape together some more cash, save up just a little longer, or sell your first born, you can buy one of the greatest chainsaws made today. For what it can do and its size it’s the best hands down. However if you cannot justify the cost of the 026, I grudgingly suggest the Husky 55. This is hurts me to the core, to suggest to you that you should buy the husky. I love my Stihl and just yesterday I got it out just to hear it growl. HuskyMan is going to jump all over me for this but again if you cant afford the 026 go for the 55 its the best in its class.

Confused

I think I'm going to be sick again

Hello, I suggest the 351. I compared the 351 and the 026 and like the feel of the 351 better, lower vibs and smoother running. This is just my opinion, both saws are excellent. Jonathan

i agree with davefr and confused - stay away from the odd numbered stihls - they arent all that. the 026 is not a consumer model and at 10.6# and 3.5hp much lighter and almost the same power.

Husky makes a 346xp for $369 at alamia.com that may rock your boat - its a true husky pro model very much the same as a 026 (10.6# and 3.4hp). the thing about this saw is its rpms - 14'700rpm which makes it the highest revving stock saw. if you run it right i think the chain speed (cutting speed) of this saw is unbeatable in the 46cc class.

the 55 and the 55 rancher are both excellent saws and probably should be in huskys pro line - just heavier. dont get the 029 though - people stay away from that saw like the antichrist from what i see here and elsewhere.

I agree with Tundraotto, to a point. The 346 is a professional saw, with a lot of HP and RPMs, but a narrow power band. This means that if you have a dull chain, or are otherwise prone to leaning into the saw, you will bog it down. I own one, but the primary reason is that I like the fact that I own the fastest stock chainsaw on the market, today.

I also own a H55, sort of. I bought it two years ago, when there was a glitch in the Husqvarna inventory system, and they equipped 55's with 3/8 sprocket and chain, as well as the "Farm Tough" bar, but it was a 55 powerhead, i.e., compression release and better porting characteristics. For the money I spent, there is not a better saw. I also own a 026, that I bought a few months later, but I can't justify the additional cost for a slight weight difference, same HP, and smaller displacement. The 026 is truly a smoother-running saw, but in the end, I would probably have stuck with the Husky. It has a wider power band, but there still is the issue of air cowling release.

In my opinion, if Husqvarna would equip it's "less than pro" saws with a quick-release cowling, like is on the 351 or 346, they would be much more competitive with Stihl.

As far as dependability and the like, both the 55 and 026, as well as the 351 are proven designs. You can't go wrong with any of them. Each has its own unique characteristics, and they are all made by a reputable manufacturer. Choose the one that best fits your budget, with the dealer who is open after 4PM on Saturday, and you should be fine.

cm betz - while i agree completely with what you say i could not for the life of me let this go by:

"I own the fastest stock chainsaw on the market, today." my hopped (or unhopped for that matter) would eat your 46cc xp alive" and thats a promise:D

Tundraotto,

What unhopped, i.e. stock, as in from the factory, not like stock cars, which are anything but stock, saw turns over 14,700 RPMs right out of the box? Maybe this is just a question of semantics, but when I say stock, I mean from the factory, without any modifications.

i get your meaning - what im sayin is that a stock 372xp and above will cut A LOT faster than your 346xp no matter what your rpms - 346xp is probably the fastest saw in its CLASS but it has no business taking on saws in the 60cc+ class. otherwise I would have a 346 too (unhopped).

No question that a 346 will be outcut by a larger displacement saw, in larger wood. However, I still stand by my original statement -- it is the fastest (in terms of rpms) stock (out of the box) saw, period, not just in its class.

Every tool is designed for a range of applications, and for the job the 346 was designed to do -- precommercial thinning of boles <12-16" and limbing, it is tops. I would even venture that it is quite comparable to a larger displacement saw in this application, since, while there is "no replacement for displacement" in larger logs, in wood of this diameter, I would bet on RPMs over HP and torque.

ok - mistook you for saying the 346xp is the fastest CUTTING saw - you are correct in saying that it has the highest rpms of any stock saw 14'700rpm. and yes thats excellent for limbing.

Thanks for the info on the 026 pro and the 346xp. I don't wish to spend the extra cash for the 026 pro. My real issue is how does a 351 rate to the 55. You see, I want a 55, just don't want numb hands while cutting or at the end of the day. Has anyone ran these two saws and can speak for them from a side by side comparision??

Thanks,

Thumper

Thumper,

The 351 will definitely have less vibration transmission, and with other features like the quick-release air cowling, better-designed chain brake lever, side tenioner, etc, you can't go wrong.

The only problem with the 55 is it has a bad tendency to want to melt off the chain brake handle. Both are good saws, the 55 has more grunt, the 351 more rpms

Back