Husky 44-gas tank breather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an Husky 44 that runs great(has 170 PSI cold) but after like 10 minutes of cutting it wants to die,then I loosen the gas cap and retighten it and it runs like a champ again.There are no holes in the cap and I don't see any breather comming out of the tank anywhere.How does the tank breath and how do I fix it?Thanks

The vent is on top of the tank.Its a tube coming out of tank with a vent at the end.
Drained all gas out of tank and there is no vent tube or hose other than fuel line coming out of tank.Still have a problem.Is there anyone that has a Husky 44 that might be able to help?I even put my finger in the tank and could feel nothing but fuel line.Where is the breather?Thanks.:cry:

I also have a 44. I had symptoms similiar to yours a year or two ago. It was the ignition system going bad. It would heat up and stop running. Took about 10 min or so. After cooling it would start again and run another 10 or so. Your's sounds more like a fuel problem, but don't count out the igniton module.

The root of my ignition problem seemed to be a cooling air restriction. I was stupid and never cleaned out the intake. Maybe you do this all ready, but I'll offer it up anyway. Take off the starter. Under it is a plastic cowling. Take off the cowling and see if it is plugged up with oily sawdust. That's what happened to mine. It completely cut off the airflow. Ignition module got hot and burned up.

Last edited:
Drained all gas out of tank and there is no vent tube or hose other than fuel line coming out of tank.Still have a problem.Is there anyone that has a Husky 44 that might be able to help?I even put my finger in the tank and could feel nothing but fuel line.Where is the breather?Thanks.:cry:

Your vent is on top of the tank,Its a short black hose with the vent on top and another longer hose that is attached to your plastic flange.Probably the previous owner removed the longer one and you are left with the short one only.

Your vent is on top of the tank,Its a short black hose with the vent on top and another longer hose that is attached to your plastic flange.Probably the previous owner removed the longer one and you are left with the short one only.
There is no hole or vent on the top of the tank that I can see or feel.

I also have a 44. I had symptoms similiar to yours a year or two ago. It was the ignition system going bad. It would heat up and stop running. Took about 10 min or so. After cooling it would start again and run another 10 or so. Your's sounds more like a fuel problem, but don't count out the igniton module.

The root of my ignition problem seemed to be a cooling air restriction. I was stupid and never cleaned out the intake. Maybe you do this all ready, but I'll offer it up anyway. Take off the starter. Under it is a plastic cowling. Take off the cowling and see if it is plugged up with oily sawdust. That's what happened to mine. It completely cut off the airflow. Ignition module got hot and burned up.
Thanks,isn't the problem I have mine is clean enough to eat off.Do you have a vent or breather on yours and if so where is it?Thanks. Mine will start running crappy and I can loosen the cap while it is running and it clears it right up.

The vent for my gas tank appears to be in the cap itself. On mine there are two small vent holes on the outside, just to the right and left off the handle "slit". Inside there is a red rubber gasket that looks to allow air in, but keeps gas from going out. If you have the same type cap/setup perhaps the vent holes have gotten plugged.
You could maybe try blowing a little compressed air to clear them.
I can't find any other vent lines in my tank.
Let me know if this helps, or if you need any more info.
Dave

Oh, I almost forgot. I cleaned off the outside and tried to blow air into the cap by covering most of the cap and blowing. It is a good way to check that air is going in, but now I'm having a beer to get the gas taste out.
Also, there are two small holes on the top of the gas cap handle that don't appear to go anywhere. The two vent holes are on the concave part of the cap.

The vent for my gas tank appears to be in the cap itself. On mine there are two small vent holes on the outside, just to the right and left off the handle "slit". Inside there is a red rubber gasket that looks to allow air in, but keeps gas from going out. If you have the same type cap/setup perhaps the vent holes have gotten plugged.
You could maybe try blowing a little compressed air to clear them.
I can't find any other vent lines in my tank.
Let me know if this helps, or if you need any more info.
Dave
Yes that helps alot,thanks.My gas cap is plain with no holes or rubber gasket on it I think it was replaced,my oil cap has the holes and the rubber gasket on it.I don't understand just how it works but I will try to find a gas cap like yours and see how it works.Thanks again.

Oh, I almost forgot. I cleaned off the outside and tried to blow air into the cap by covering most of the cap and blowing. It is a good way to check that air is going in, but now I'm having a beer to get the gas taste out.
Also, there are two small holes on the top of the gas cap handle that don't appear to go anywhere. The two vent holes are on the concave part of the cap.
Now that I looked a little closer at the oil cap it is the same way as your gas cap with the two vent holes and the two going nowhere.Thanks.

No problem, I bought my new(used) module from PES+. Might not be a bad place to check for a cap.

PES+ is one of the posters on this site. I think he may be a sponsor. Try sending him a PM. I think it's also OK to start a new thread and ask for the part you're looking for. You maybe could still get this part new from the dealer, but I like to support the guys here at the site. Maybe you know this stuff all ready, sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.

Back