Husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What the heck is it about chainsaws that makes acquiring them such a mania.
I just picked up a like new Swedish made Husqvarna 55 for $125. I think that's a pretty good deal isn't it?
It even has a compression release, although even with 160 lbs. compression it's pretty easy to start. It came with a 14" bar, which seems kinda ludicrous to me for a 54 cc saw. I understand that this saw has good torque, can it handle a 20" bar? narrow kerf, .325, or 3/8?
It's out hiding in the truck 'til the wife falls asleep (don't pretend that you have never had to hide a saw from your wife) but just in case, I need an excuse, is this a lot more saw than my Stihl 024 super?

I just sold a 55 for $150,that was in great shape.Bought it used for $150,so you got a good deal.Not a speed demon,but has good torque and is put together well.I ran mine with 18" bar and full chisel .325 chain for awhile.Switched over to 3/8 chisel with a 16" bar and chain and she really came to life power wise.Im sure it would run a 20",but 18" would be the max id use.I like the shorter bars for speed and most of my cutting is less than 20" diameter trees.Also the shorter bar is easier to hide from your wife

Your 024 will cut about the same speed in smaller wood,but the 55 will have a bit more speed and grunt in bigger trees,if I had to compare the 55 to a Stihl,it would be a 029/290 as far as cutting speed.The 55 is lighter and balanced better tho.

I love my 55, its my favorite saw to run, smooth and good balance.It's a good firewood/gen. purpose saw. If I could only have one saw it would be the 55, and it was my only saw for a long time. I have an 18"/.325 on min and it seems to like that setup, a 20" might be a bit much for it. Mine has a real light muff mod, I just drilled the holes in the main baffle about 2 sizes bigger and richened up the high side a touch, I get a tad more power that way.

My 55 in my lineup. top right.

Saws.jpg

Is this a saw that would benefit from muffler mods, or that a given with all saws?

Yeah about 45-50cc is where a muff mod starts to really make a difference. Smaller motors just have less to offer by modding them, other than they'll run cooler and a bit better. That still wont stop me from modding out my McCulloch Titan 2500 string trimmer!

Is this a saw that would benefit from muffler mods, or that a given with all saws?

All the later 55's had a decomp valve but its pretty useless. I guess it saves wear on the starter. I dont use it. I run a 16" 3/8 bar on mine, but you can run up to a 20" bar with .325 chain.

Yes the 55 really likes a good muffler mod, something like this
attachment.php

Last edited:
What the heck is it about chainsaws that makes acquiring them such a mania.
I just picked up a like new Swedish made Husqvarna 55 for $125. I think that's a pretty good deal isn't it?
It even has a compression release, although even with 160 lbs. compression it's pretty easy to start. It came with a 14" bar, which seems kinda ludicrous to me for a 54 cc saw. I understand that this saw has good torque, can it handle a 20" bar? narrow kerf, .325, or 3/8?
It's out hiding in the truck 'til the wife falls asleep (don't pretend that you have never had to hide a saw from your wife) but just in case, I need an excuse, is this a lot more saw than my Stihl 024 super?

If you occationally have too put a 20" bar on it, consider either .325NK or skip chain.

16" is what I would use, most of the time.

...and it is 53.2cc, not 54 - LOL.

I think mine is stuck or has crap in it. I can push it in a bit but it never wants to come back. Maybe its sticking open and I am losing compression and power. Can you take those off and clean them or should you just replace them?

I'd have replaced it with a plug - they are availiable.

My 55 in my lineup. top right.

Saws.jpg

No wonder you prefere to use the 55!

- sorry, couldn't resist........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Back