Husky 555 replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhawk23

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,

Mechanic says the cylinder is scored due to air leak at carburetor. They offered $50 towards new saw.

Which 60cc professional saw would you all recommend replacing it with? I was never impressed with the 555, felt underpowered.

Are echos really professional?

Thanks

It's a 70cc saw but I have an older Stihl MS440 that I have been extremely found of. We use MS460 at work and they have been fantastic saws in my experience.

Hi,

Mechanic says the cylinder is scored due to air leak at carburetor. They offered $50 towards new saw.

Which 60cc professional saw would you all recommend replacing it with? I was never impressed with the 555, felt underpowered.

Thanks

Sounds odd. It is worth more than $50 as a parts saw. Any pictures available of the cylinder wall and piston? If the cylinder could be cleaned up, the piston replaced and the air leak fixed it could be a good saw again.

The Stihl 362 or 400 would be in that 60ish range. Or the Husky 562 mkII would also fit the bill nicely and they have all the updated bearings and seals. Those would all be on the top of my list to look at. Personally I would probably go with the dealer with the best techs for service availability and/or warranty work with price being a close second.

A friend is parting with his Stihl ms362 for $100. Can’t be that! He’s older and can’t deal with the weight or pull.

Where’s a good place to sell a parts saw?

Hi,

Thanks
A few years back my first 562 was going South. Moderate scoring on the cylinder from hard use.

They gave me $200 for it towards a new saw, though being generous. Easily worth 100-150. Or keep the saw and sell it on here. Or FIX IT

I sold my second one that the bearings failed on for ~200 as well.

Sounds odd. It is worth more than $50 as a parts saw. Any pictures available of the cylinder wall and piston? If the cylinder could be cleaned up, the piston replaced and the air leak fixed it could be a good saw again.
No pictures, I’m picking up the saw today. A neighbor could replace the parts but what about dealing with the autotune? Would o buy aftermarket parts?

The auto tune won't care about a new piston and cylinder. It will sort itself out in the first cut. Plus if you feel so inclined you can do the manual reset procedure. But you don't need the dealer for anything.

The auto tune won't care about a new piston and cylinder. It will sort itself out in the first cut. Plus if you feel so inclined you can do the manual reset procedure. But you don't need the dealer for anything.
The shop quoted close to $700 for the repair
the shop quoted around $700 to replace the parts, what am I looking at for a friend to do it?

The shop quoted close to $700 for the repair

the shop quoted around $700 to replace the parts, what am I looking at for a friend to do it?
Looks like an OEM cylinder/piston kit runs about $180 on eBay; you'd also need some gaskets and you'd have to figure out what is causing the air leak at the carb. I wouldn't expect it to be too much more than $250 in parts; unless there is something else wrong with it.

I'd definitely jump on that MS362 for $100 in any case...

Looks like an OEM cylinder/piston kit runs about $180 on eBay; you'd also need some gaskets and you'd have to figure out what is causing the air leak at the carb. I wouldn't expect it to be too much more than $250 in parts; unless there is something else wrong with it.

Anymore then what you've mentioned and it's pretty much a parts saw. Bearings are ~$200.00 new complete case costs that, +$200 for piston and cylinder kit. Half the cost of a new saw. Pressure + vac test find the issue then go from there.

I fixed a similar 550xp for my buddy. The dealer told em it was toast and offered a 100 bucks for it.
It was straight gassed. The cylinder cleaned up pretty good with a sand paper hone job and I put a meteor piston in it. There was still a couple tiny score marks in it but it ran ok.
The saw ran fine for 4 years after the rebuild then it ate the crank bearings. For the price of a piston kit I'd rebuild it and run it.

Back