Husky clutch drum clearances

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hanalance

hanalance

ArboristSite Member
My Husky 42 clutch locked up - chain moved when starter pulled.

I found that the bottom of the clutch assembly was riding on the large washer under it and that was riding on the drum bottom. Thus it was locked. If I unscrewed the clutch assm. a little on the crankshaft, it was free.

A new large washer did not help.

I don't know what's going on - why this happened.

For a quick-and-dirty try, I took a standard stainless 1/4" washer and drilled out the hole to 23/64" which went over the crank threads. Placed that between the drum and the large washer, reassembled, and I got a free running drum. I cut logs for 2 hours and it performed well.

What's going on? Could the flange below the crank threads have worn down?

HiOctane

HiOctane

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Maybe the center of the washer is enlarged a bit.Or if you have a"fixed" bearing ,maybe he moved a bit in the sprocket touching the washer.Ive seen sprocket with a crack around the bearing area,you could check it.And what about the bearing condition,not seized ?

hanalance

hanalance

ArboristSite Member
I took the bearing out. It was only in fair condition; but not seized. I cleaned it and re-greased it.

I've had a new bearing from a well known supply house around for a couple of years - but now I find they gave me the wrong one [and charged me double]. It is too small; and, it's an open-sided needle bearing, whereas the original is a "cage type" needle brg. [Ticks me off!]

Last edited:
stevethekiwi

stevethekiwi

Addicted to ArboristSite
Heres what to:

1. take the clutch off. while its off, check the back of the centre hub for clearance "step" from the shoes, ie so when you tighten the clutch up, it is only the hub that is touching the washer. It will be minimal, but there should be a step on the back of the clutch where the hub meets the shoes. you somtimes have to push the sheos forward to check. This wont be the cause of your problems, but its a good check to do if you're trying to get a correct engagement speed.

2. with the clutch and washer off, look at the crankshaft inside the drum. push the sprocket back against the chainsaw, have a look at the pertrusion of the crank lip. If theres none, then you are tightening the clutch on the sprocket, not the crank. Check the other side of the sprocket, or maybe its the mismatched bearing. If the clutch + washer is seating on the crank, you either have a seized bearing, or a warped drum thats catching on the shoes, or one of the shoes is out of bed...

Put the right bearing in, p/n 503 81 19-01, just in case. Then have a look at the above while you're doing it.

Let me know how you get on!

scottr
My Husky 42 clutch locked up - chain moved when starter pulled.

I found that the bottom of the clutch assembly was riding on the large washer under it and that was riding on the drum bottom. Thus it was locked. If I unscrewed the clutch assm. a little on the crankshaft, it was free.

A new large washer did not help.

I don't know what's going on - why this happened.

For a quick-and-dirty try, I took a standard stainless 1/4" washer and drilled out the hole to 23/64" which went over the crank threads. Placed that between the drum and the large washer, reassembled, and I got a free running drum. I cut logs for 2 hours and it performed well.

What's going on? Could the flange below the crank threads have worn down?

I had a the same thing happen on a Poulan 2025 . The replacement Oregon drum/spur did not use the large washer that goes between the clutch and the drum .

hanalance

hanalance

ArboristSite Member
Steve,

Again, thanks for the very detailed instructions. The "home made" extra washer I put in ground down to where I had partial lockup again. The bearing was trashed by then.

I got a bearing at an industrial supply place based on dimensions. It was/is a caged roller #78. I put it in and there is now no lockup.

The bearing number you provided [503 81 19-01] is the same that I had on hand and did not fit - also, it is not caged. [I have a parts layout I got from Husky in Sweden and it does show your number]. I don't know what the correct number is but I think it might be a 501 45 52-01. The on-line parts lists I got this number from for the 42 are labeled 94-12, 94-04, 92-03 and 88-10. The parts lists do not show anything for a 42 later than 94-12 or earlier than 88-10 - I assume those are dates.

Bottom line is: I don't know what 42 I have - ser. #2080273. For example, the big washer [503 52 12-01] I ordered with the no fit bearing also does not fit. But it is shown as the same number going back to 92-03 and not used on the 88-10.

Well, this is confusing and I'm reluctant to burden you with it, but for the future, I don't know where to get the right part numbers to order.

One continuing problem/question: I can "wiggle" the installed clutch/drum/crankshaft. Would this be "play" be due to wear in the oil pump housing or from a bearing in the crankcase?

Thanks for any input. As you can tell, I'm reluctant to give up on this hi-rev. saw.

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts