Husqvarna 257 blown need a cylinder piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that's for the next larger family of saws with and has the OEM part # of 501 53 38 01
You need OEM part # 503 54 41 01 for the 262 cyl.
Finding a 262 cylinder kit is the easy part . Finding that intake spacer 503 54 41 01 is next to impossible as that part is no longer available .The couple i did find cost more that the cylinder kit lol

Well i finally got the 262 kit and that spacer manifold. I thought i read somewhere not to use the base gasket or was i imagining things?

Decided to try and put this together this afternoon . I may not have all the proper lingo here lol .2 problems i see . The casting on the aftermarket 262 cylinder hits the fins on the flywheel .Also the air intake hole on the 262 cylinder for the carburetor is not in the same place as the 257 .The 257 is in the center while the 262 is off towards one side.

Sorry to hear this. I ran into some similar misfit troubles trying to fit an aftermarket muffler to a Husky 61. It burned out chunks of the shroud, and I removed it permanently and replaced it with the original. Dumb decision by me to buy/try it.

Hard to believe that the seller thought that this cylinder fit both the 257 and the 262. Seems absurd. :crazy:

Sorry to hear this. I ran into some similar misfit troubles trying to fit an aftermarket muffler to a Husky 61. It burned out chunks of the shroud, and I removed it permanently and replaced it with the original. Dumb decision by me to buy/try it.

Hard to believe that the seller thought that this cylinder fit both the 257 and the 262. Seems absurd. :crazy:
Must be something i can do .Grind off a bit of the flywheel fins.Doesn't look to be off by much.Could i dremel a new port on the saw to match up with the 262 cylinder and gasket ? Doesn't seem to be much info around on this .I watched a couple of Youtube videos but nowhere do i see them moving the port or filing/grinding down the side of the cylinder or the flywheel fins.All of the 262 cylinders must have have the same wrong offset to matchup to the 257 base

I've converted a 257 to a 262 and didn't have a problem.The 262 has a different intake block,I think.I have a good 257 cylinder and piston if you need it.You can grind on the cylinder fins if you are careful.The metal on the lower intake is not very thick.The difference is the 257 is open port the 262 is closed port.Which make the cylinder a little wider on the lower ports.

I've converted a 257 to a 262 and didn't have a problem.The 262 has a different intake block,I think.I have a good 257 cylinder and piston if you need it.You can grind on the cylinder fins if you are careful.The metal on the lower intake is not very thick.The difference is the 257 is open port the 262 is closed port.Which make the cylinder a little wider on the lower ports.
Yes was afraid to grind the cylinder because it's the bubbled out lower part that needs the grinding not the fins and it looks really thin . i already bought that intake block . think i will try grinding the fins a tad from the flywheel .How did you get to move the intake port for the carb to work?They are not in the same position as the 257 cylinder

If the intake block you bought is for a 262 everything should line up.If it's not lining up something is wrong.I will dig my saw out and try to take some pictures.I wouldn't grind on the flywheel it could get things out of balance and cause vibrations.It would be much better to grind the cylinder a little.

If the intake block you bought is for a 262 everything should line up.If it's not lining up something is wrong.I will dig my saw out and try to take some pictures.I wouldn't grind on the flywheel it could get things out of balance and cause vibrations.It would be much better to grind the cylinder a little.
i figured out the intake issue.I am afraid to grind the cylinder it seems quite thin in that one spot.I wonder if another flywheel is compatible but won't rub ?

Got it going .Shaved some off the cylinder and a hair all around evenly around the flywheel .The muffler bolts were too long for this cylinder but a couple of washers fixed that .Seems to run well.Thanks for all the help guys.

Back