Husqvarna 266SE Piston Failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was running my Husqvarna 266SE and the engine stopped as if I had cut the ignition. I couldn't get it to start so I used a different saw. When I got some time I checke dthe saw out to see what was wrong with it. I thought it may have been the two-part ignition but I had spark. I pulled the muffler to find piston damage.

The piston has a couple of chunks missing out of the land between the ring and crown. A chunk of the ring is missing too. I don't think I can save the cylinder this time.

I bought this saw with a leaking crankshaft seal. The piston had some scratches but it wasn't that bad. I cleaned the cylinder with acid and replaced the piston with a Golf. The Golf wasn't in there all that long.

Was this failure caused by the quality of the piston or is something else wrong with the saw? I want to correct any other problems before I put a new jug and slug on it.

BTW what other P/C can I put on this saw without cutting the top cover? If I can put a larger cylinder on it I might as well get an upgrade if I replacing the cylinder anyway.

20170926_160759_zpsttb2kp1w.jpeg

20170926_160808_zpstazhaebn.jpeg

20170926_160850_zpsx1taejd9.jpeg

20170926_160835_zps9jyzuoyv.jpeg

20170926_160842_zpscs01udq3.jpeg

Sorry about the crappy cell phone/flashlight pics.

Bob

i've seen it happen quite a few times now. the ring end gap of the golf rings is to tight making them collide when the ring expands. result in the pressure being so great it hangs in the exhaust. i have pics of a 372 i blew up last year that did the same thing. stay away from golf piston kits as they are to hit and miss. the rod can walk side to side like crazy especially with that piston you have there. i bet if you look at the ring ends they have been partially chipped off from the collision.

b9498561b5394480748d6d3e0486ad92.jpg

5fea094d096cdb120483c9d0c67c7671.jpg

It was a **** jug anyways but no reason it couldn't have ran many years in a firewood cutters hands. Last golf I used. the sideways gash was from turning jug during removal. had to be done as it was jammed in there. just a POS anyways.

That makes sense. I bought a Golf piston because I read on this board that they are decent pistons. I don't think I have ever seen a ring gap spec for a 2 stroke engine. I've set ring gaps on 4 strokes per manufacturer's specs but not 2 stroke.

What piston manufacturer do you recommend? Meteor? Another brand? I don't want this to happen again.

i've been using OEM and i'd take some hyways over meteors these days. the post you read must have been real old as i have never seen anyone here say anything good about golf. with that piston your only option is golf or find one on the shelf of a dealer. i think little red barn may have one now too. i would have just run a windowed hyway or meteor 268 piston in there.

I went back and checked the web site I used when I bought the parts. I set up an account and they have order history archives. I bought that piston 3/13/2012. It failed 11/2016. I checked the part # and it was a Meteor piston. I don't know why I thought it was a Golf.

I replaced the base gasket, both seals, fuel line and I rebuilt the carburetor at the same time. It was a strong runner and had a consistent idle. There was nothing that would lead me to believe I had an air leak.

This was the first chainsaw I rebuilt. I used it to cut firewood and it was one I used most. I have other saws and didn't have time to get into it to see what happened until now. I want to avoid this happening in the future with any other saws I repair.

What is the ring gap for a saw like this? If it was set too tight I would think that could cause this type of failure.

Back