Husqvarna 272S ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this may be a bit off topic for the chainsaw forum but figured this would be the best place to post this,

I've been browsing the internet lately looking for small, portable stump grinders and came upon a some information for the husqvarna 272s. Does anyone one here have any experience with one of these "saws"? I've been looking for a very portable stump grinder for steep hillside stump removal and this seems like it would fit the bill nicely. No stumps bigger than 12", and most in the 6-10" range. These are stumps that have NO access for a walk behind machine, even the tracked units. So I guess my primary question is if it would be possible to operate a 272s handheld, without the cart? At first thought this seems like a horrible idea but I got to thinking about it and maybe it would be possible to rest the saw on the ground and pivot it on the underside of the handlebar? Am I thinking a bit crazy here or does anybody else think this seems feasible. Also, I found that the cutterhead wheels for the 272s are obsolete which is a huge downfall. Would it be possible to have one of these cutterheads re-tipped, or are you totally screwed once the original wheel gets dull?

With the size of teeth on the 272s I think you'd have to have some serious arms to run it free hand. That would be a lot of torque to try to control. You might be able to make an anchor spike that will pivot and attach it to the mount base. Pound the spike into the ground, pin the mount and grind away. It might work.

I was curious what a 272s looked like and while googling came across this

homeleft.jpg
Alpine Magnum Portable Stump Grinders and Trenchers

You might be able to make an anchor spike that will pivot and attach it to the mount base. Pound the spike into the ground, pin the mount and grind away. It might work.

That's very similar to what I'm thinking, and it seems like it might work OK. Was considering using the handlebars off a 272 concrete saw since they sit the front of the saw off the ground a little more. Then fabricating a piece or steel or a spike to mount to the underside of the handlebar so it would dig into the soil or root flare and make grinding a bit safer.

I've looked into the alpine grinder posted above but pretty much ruled it out as it seems like a tool for relatively flat ground. Looks like it would be horrible to operate on a hillside due to it's length and overall size.

I thought that there were a few members on AS that had one of these grinders? I really just want to know if one of these things is worth the pursuit to find it, or if I'm totally wasting time with this thing?

That's very similar to what I'm thinking, and it seems like it might work OK. Was considering using the handlebars off a 272 concrete saw since they sit the front of the saw off the ground a little more. Then fabricating a piece or steel or a spike to mount to the underside of the handlebar so it would dig into the soil or root flare and make grinding a bit safer.

I've looked into the alpine grinder posted above but pretty much ruled it out as it seems like a tool for relatively flat ground. Looks like it would be horrible to operate on a hillside due to it's length and overall size.

I thought that there were a few members on AS that had one of these grinders? I really just want to know if one of these things is worth the pursuit to find it, or if I'm totally wasting time with this thing?

Friend of mine bought one new back quite a while ago, and he got rid of the cart apparatus, thought it was easier to use handheld. I tried it once, and decided to rent a bigger machine, but in limited access, it might work OK. How many stumps we talkin?

I think your fab idea and the picture posted sound better than handheld. Just an opinion thou.

Here ya go (found it on Google)...
MyHusqvarna272STreeStumpCutter.jpg

Looks like it is an adaption from the concrete saw which is an adaption from the chainsaw, lol.

Yep, that's it. Pretty much a concrete saw with a cutterhead.

Really, so nobody here owns one of these machines? I figured somebody might have one kicking around in their collection. But time for the real question, anyone know where I could find a 272s? I've scoured the internet and come up with nothing, maybe some saw shop has one lying in a parts pile? I don't care if it's running or not, I'd even take just the cutting arm parts since I can get a donor 272 concrete saw pretty easily.

Really, so nobody here owns one of these machines? I figured somebody might have one kicking around in their collection. But time for the real question, anyone know where I could find a 272s? I've scoured the internet and come up with nothing, maybe some saw shop has one lying in a parts pile? I don't care if it's running or not, I'd even take just the cutting arm parts since I can get a donor 272 concrete saw pretty easily.

I have ran one of these freehand! Gaurd your sac buddy. They are a handfull but if you set it on the ground it is not do bad if you pivot the unit into your work!

I h

I have one I'm trying to sell. Needs an ignition coil and spark plug

Latest posts

Back