Husqvarna 345/350/353 for Canadian Newbie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cygni52

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very new to the chainsaw world... my only previous experience was a week last summer of using a stihl MS 270 helping a neighbour clear a few acres to expand his back yard... didn't particularly enjoy my time with the stihl so now that I have some work of my own to do I thought I would go with a Husqvarna... only problem is that it seems like online sites won't ship them which means I'm stuck paying the prices the canadian dealers are asking... I can get the 345 and 350 for $499 and the 353 for $599. Is the extra cc and magnesium crankcase of the 353 worth the extra $100? I need to completely clear 1 acre full of 8"-16" trees (pine,cedar,ash,poplar and I think some ash) and then make a wide trail network in about 10 acres of land... Following that I would have a lot cedar posts to make up and a bunch of firewood to cut. any advice from this forum would be greatly appreciated as dropping $565-$678 canadian isn't something I want to throw away without serious thought...

thanks in advance to anyone willing to give some time and share some wisdom with yet another newbie...

Have You Thought About A Dolmar 5100

You may want something like a Dolmar ps5100, great with a 16 or 18 inch bar. They are $495 here in Canada plus taxes. Good commercial grade saw. Do a search on this forum on the 5100. It may fit the bill. Dave.

Without hesitation,go to the 353.The mag case,the added hp,reliability are worth it.And you seem to have lot of work to do,forget about about the smaller models.

You may want something like a Dolmar ps5100, great with a 16 or 18 inch bar. They are $495 here in Canada plus taxes. Good commercial grade saw. Do a search on this forum on the 5100. It may fit the bill. Dave.

Sounds more like the right saw - the NE346xp probably is too expensive in Canada.

A 353/2152 will surely do, but the Dolmar will do it better in this case......:D

Hello,

I am very new to the chainsaw world... my only previous experience was a week last summer of using a stihl MS 270 helping a neighbour clear a few acres to expand his back yard... didn't particularly enjoy my time with the stihl so now that I have some work of my own to do I thought I would go with a Husqvarna...

What did you dislike about the MS270?

Wow!

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen!

I did a quick search for Dolmar dealers and the nearest I found was in Barrie which isn't too far... I'll check it out... thanks for the suggestion.

If I did go with Husqvarna it seems like the 353 at $599 would be the way to go? I didn't realize my job would require a lot of saw... should I be thinking bigger than the 353?

As far as the stihl is concerned... it was about 6 months old when I started using it (neighbour got a good deal on a couple of ms 270 saws for his backyard expansion job) and we were both having issues... had to tighten my chain every 15 minutes (or is that normal?) oiler didn't seem to cooperate and it was a b!t#h to start! I'm considered a fairly strong and capable guy and it would take me a good couple of minutes to start the thing even with the 3 step process the dealer recommended to us after we were both having issues... His kept bogging out and wasn't able to really get it reving very high... maybe it was bad luck, maybe a bad batch, maybe it was bad servicing... either way both the ms 270 were a pain and I'd rather avoid them...

take care everyone and happy cutting! ...or whatever it is you do with your chainsaws...

Hello,

I am very new to the chainsaw world... my only previous experience was a week last summer of using a stihl MS 270 helping a neighbour clear a few acres to expand his back yard... didn't particularly enjoy my time with the stihl so now that I have some work of my own to do I thought I would go with a Husqvarna... only problem is that it seems like online sites won't ship them which means I'm stuck paying the prices the canadian dealers are asking... I can get the 345 and 350 for $499 and the 353 for $599. Is the extra cc and magnesium crankcase of the 353 worth the extra $100? I need to completely clear 1 acre full of 8"-16" trees (pine,cedar,ash,poplar and I think some ash) and then make a wide trail network in about 10 acres of land... Following that I would have a lot cedar posts to make up and a bunch of firewood to cut. any advice from this forum would be greatly appreciated as dropping $565-$678 canadian isn't something I want to throw away without serious thought...

thanks in advance to anyone willing to give some time and share some wisdom with yet another newbie...

If you can find one, go with the Husky 365 special, great saw you can get them around here for around $600 give or take. I'm just down the road from you (Horseshoe Valley) Very durable saw, lots of power for what you need, reliable and easy to start. Throw a 20" bar on it, your set!
It would be a good investment for you if your going to spend that much

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with any of those Husky saws. I have a 345-e and love it, its a really great saw with 18" bar. That said, if this will be your only saw, get one bigger, at least the 353, or a 346xp would be better choice. Are you ever going to handle bigger trees?? If so you may want a bigger saw. You could however get by for now with a smaller one, and in the future buy a larger saw if needed. Good luck with any choice. All of the ones recommended here will do you very well.

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen!

I did a quick search for Dolmar dealers and the nearest I found was in Barrie which isn't too far... I'll check it out... thanks for the suggestion.

If I did go with Husqvarna it seems like the 353 at $599 would be the way to go? I didn't realize my job would require a lot of saw... should I be thinking bigger than the 353? ......

I would have preferred to think MS361 or 357xp in your case, as I know it.

The 5100S is about halvway there, compared to the 353........:D

Or the Jonsered 2156, more sexy curves and a straight handle that goes on and on.

I have a problem.

I like the curves and colors of the Jonsereds, but not the handle angle (or lack of it)........:buttkick: :D :D

Wanted to rep you, but am not allowed right now........GRRRRRR

Last edited:
thanks for the advice...

...thanks to everyone for their input... even the suggestions made by the jonesred addicts were taken into consideration... I was all but ready to buy the Husqvarna until thechainsawaddict mentioned the Dolmar... Went to the dealer, mentioned the Husky and Sthil promos and left the building with a 5100 with a bunch of free stuff like a case, 4L Chain Oil, extra chain, chain file and even a gerry can! ...and all that for a little over $550 Can after taxes. Got home, used it for a few hours and realized if this thing keeps cutting as quickly as it does I'll be done all my work in only a couple of weeks... thanks for the heads up on the Dolmar!

Congratulations on the new saw. People say it is a good saw, but you turned down a super model for a street walker. You will look back on this day in a couple of months and then you will wonder where the rash came from. :cheers: :cheers:

Dont let a bad experience with the 270 keep you away from Stihl's altogether.
I'm not saying the 270 is a bad saw but its not the most loved saw either.

Happy hunting :cheers:

Oic you got the dolmar. My bad

Good luck with your new saw :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
...thanks to everyone for their input... even the suggestions made by the jonesred addicts were taken into consideration... I was all but ready to buy the Husqvarna until thechainsawaddict mentioned the Dolmar... Went to the dealer, mentioned the Husky and Sthil promos and left the building with a 5100 with a bunch of free stuff like a case, 4L Chain Oil, extra chain, chain file and even a gerry can! ...and all that for a little over $550 Can after taxes. Got home, used it for a few hours and realized if this thing keeps cutting as quickly as it does I'll be done all my work in only a couple of weeks... thanks for the heads up on the Dolmar!

Good choice, they are a quality saw priced right IMO.

Latest posts

Back