HVAC/OWB Hook UP Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean06919

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please advise me as to what size heat exchanger I should use and how to install it.

House: 1,600 square feet, with poor insulation.

Furnace: Heil, Model #NTC6050FBG1, input BTU's: 55,000, converted to propane use.

AC Coil (sits directly on furnace), Model # EPD30B15C2, I believe it is a 30 ton. Size: 16" x 21"

Plenum: Size 14" x 16.5"

The furnace is incapable of heating the house when the temperature drops below 10 degree Fahrenheit. However, I believe the furnace can push enough air to work with a heat exchanger from the OWB.

OWB: 180 gallons, about 100' from the house. 1" pex lines, insulated with 1" pipe insulation, inside a 4" solid drainage pipe, buried between 3'-4' deep in sandy soil. Will also have to heat the hot water, and I may run a line to my garage that is also 100' away (if you think it is capable of heating both house and garage).

What size coil should I use and where and how should I install it, below the AC coil or above it in the plenum? I do have a heat exchanger that measures 16.5" x 22" (counting the copper pipes otherwise it would measure 16.5" x 19").
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

Wow....have you..

Performed a heat loss on the house?

Looked at improving your insulation/windows?

IMHO, and I've said this before, most OWB dealers ask you how many S.F. are you heating. This is immaterial. It's how many BTU thet you need to over come the heat loss of the house. That's why I would get an idea of your actual heating requirements. As far as hydrocoils go, since you have a Heil furnace, talk to your local distributor about their line of coils. That is what I used. Mine are HWC-1900, capacity is 56K BTU @ 180 deg. incoming water temp. Specs are at www.goheil.com
:deadhorse:

That's a 3.0 ton unit. Add a decimal point.

At a minimum, install the largest heat exchanger that will physically fit in your plenum. If you have to enlarge the plenum to fit in the larger exchanger you already have, do so.

Mount the exchanger so that air flows through it after the A-coil. You may also have to bump up the blower speed to a higher setting if one is available.

It does sound like your furnace is quite under-sized for your home. Of course, insulation upgrades and caulking should also be high on your list of things to do.

Steve

Latest posts

Back