Hyd. Fluid vs. Transmission fluid in splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just bought a used splitter and the guy said all hes ever used is tranny fluid in it instead of hyd. fluid, is there any disadvantage to this and can they be mixed together w/o doing harm... I think he used the tranny fluid due to the fact the ram leaks a little around the front seal, cheaper to replace as he is a mechanic at a car dealership....will post pics as soon as it quits raining..

No difference really, except when it gets cold out and ATF warms up quicker.

I am running both at the same time:)

Hydro is cheaper though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

ATF is hydraulic fluid. It's got some friction modifiers and seal conditioners added and red dye.

Their is nothing in atf that will hurt your splitter hydraulics in any way.

Just bought a used splitter and the guy said all hes ever used is tranny fluid in it instead of hyd. fluid, is there any disadvantage to this and can they be mixed together w/o doing harm... I think he used the tranny fluid due to the fact the ram leaks a little around the front seal, cheaper to replace as he is a mechanic at a car dealership....will post pics as soon as it quits raining..
This is likely true, but it is also way thinner than most farm store hyd. fluids. Meaning that you will see seals in your pumps and cylinders way before you ever should. There is also a point at which your bearing life will be affected.
:chainsaw:

ATF is hydraulic fluid. It's got some friction modifiers and seal conditioners added and red dye.

Their is nothing in atf that will hurt your splitter hydraulics in any way.

Almost forgot... the other reason to run a heavier fluid when it is designed for it is pressure. The pumps ability to build pressure will be affected by thinner fluid due to the clearances in the pump. With thinner fluid, the oil can pass around the outside of the vanes, pistons or gears depending on design. This will also increas the amount of heat in the system due to bypassing and again affect everthing from bearings to seals.

Last edited:
Almost forgot... the other reason to run a heavier fluid when it is designed for it is pressure. The pumps ability to build pressure will be affected by thinner fluid due to the clearances in the pump. With thinner fluid, the oil can pass around the outside of the vanes, pistons or gears depending on design. This will also increas the amount of heat in the system due to bypassing and again affect everthing from bearings to seals.

My Huskee splitter lists atf as an approved fluid.

Although I agree with what you're saying.

I use trans hydraulic oil in my splitter. Works well. That's what was recommended to me by a mech at the local tractor store. Use the same stuff in out mustang skid loader.

Don't see why atf won't work. Might get real thin on warm days.

I'm running Hyd. fluid in mine. It really takes a long time to warm up in the winter. I'm thinking of running ATF this next winter, hopefully it warms up quicker. Altough with the Hydrulic fluid the temps stay way down. I can run my splitter for hours and you can put your hand on the cylinder and it feels warm, I do like that about it:confused:

In the 'for what it's worth' catagory the manual on my Didier says:

10W-30 for summer
40W for winter
hydraulic for year round

Shari

In the 'for what it's worth' catagory the manual on my Didier says:

10W-30 for summer
40W for winter
hydraulic for year round

Shari

HI Shari, Bet, winter & summer did a 180°

10W-30 for winter
40W for summer
hydraulic for year round

No need for a spliter as of yet, in all my equip. and Hydraulic power packs, I use Case HY-Tran Ultra as I purchase by the barrell and one of the things it does well is hold a fair amount of water in supencion.

HI Shari, Bet, winter & summer did a 180°

10W-30 for winter
40W for summer
hydraulic for year round

No need for a spliter as of yet, in all my equip. and Hydraulic power packs, I use Case HY-Tran Ultra as I purchase by the barrell and one of the things it does well is hold a fair amount of water in supencion.

Yup, you are correct. Five grandchildren had just left (two 7 yr. olds. and three under the age of 3 yrs.) and for some reason my mind wasn't quite connected with my typing fingers.

Shari

Watch what hydraulic fluid that you are using. AW 32 is a lot thinner than AW 68. ATF/Universal hydraulic oil (AW32 or so) are recomonded for the SpeeCo splitters. To thin of an oil in the summer will wear the system. To thick of an oil in the winter will be very hard to start and wear the pump till the fluid warms up enough to flow.

been running Walmart ATF since 1990.Other than a leak in my tank,have seen no ill effects using it.I split about 15 cord per season,maybe a little more.

Back