I did it and so excited!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ordered a Alaskan mill and mini mill frm Baileys this morning...I read and read about this and want to try,,so guess I'm going all out...Please bear with me cause I'm gonna be askin alot of stuff soon....Looks like alot of fun and a good way to spend a day.....

Last edited:
Ordered a Alaskan mill and mini mill frm Baileys this morning...I read and read about this and want to try,,so guess I'm going all out...Please bear with me cause I'm gonna be askin alot of stuff soon....Looks like alot of fun and a good way to spend a day.....

Watch out for the.........................:popcorn: We will be :popcorn:

Sounds like fun....until.........

Good luck

Kevin

There is no feeling like pulling the first board off of your first log.

You are in for a bit of an adventure, enjoy every minute. Lots of work, but just as much fun and a real feeling of accomplishment when you make something with "your" wood.

Mark

...Please bear with me cause I'm gonna be askin alot of stuff soon...
Ask away, lots of talent and experience in this forum.

...Looks like alot of fun and a good way to spend a day...
It is... and also a good way to burn some calories. Icing on the cake is the lumber you walk away with at the end of the day. Do some digging around in this forum and you will see many different setups and how different folks handle different problems.

You made a great buy there! The alaskan mill is one of the best investments a guy can make.It should be payed off the first time you use it.Be careful and good luck with it.:) Mark

It's like opening christmas presents...every log is different..

I am almost done with my old smokehouse, repaired, re-sided, new floors, a half story loft and new doors...every scrap of new wood in the thing came off my mill...there's alot of satisfaction in that.

It's like opening christmas presents...every log is different..

I am almost done with my old smokehouse, repaired, re-sided, new floors, a half story loft and new doors...every scrap of new wood in the thing came off my mill...there's alot of satisfaction in that.

Amen!!!

Some good, some not so good. Some FANTASTIC and always ineresting.

My advice to you:

Be in great shape
buy an auxillary oiler
have a powerful enough saw
make the first cut jig as easy as possible. Do waste money on the online ones
put a wedge in the cut when you get a few feet past.

Things I have learned the hard way

Chris

Oh and good luck and have fun. It really is like Christmas when you pull the first board back to see what lays inside the log. Or it is waste of time

My advice to you:

Be in great shape
buy an auxillary oiler
have a powerful enough saw
make the first cut jig as easy as possible. Do waste money on the online ones
put a wedge in the cut when you get a few feet past.

Things I have learned the hard way

Chris

Oh and good luck and have fun. It really is like Christmas when you pull the first board back to see what lays inside the log. Or it is waste of time

+1 too all of that and let me add, Saw downhill and lift the cants or logs high enough so you don't have too bend the whole cut. I have been slowly accumulating enough cedar (somes already greying) that I should have enough come springtime, too rebuild my second floor deck flooring (30'x8'). I've already used some too make a new set of porch steps too. Nothing like using your own wood for the house and projects. Good luck :cheers:

Last edited:
I forgot the sawing down hill. Once you try sawing uphill you will never do it again. It is like bench pressing 75lbs all day long.

I recently bought a handle bar type attachment for the mill for easier pushing but have yet to try it out. Might want to think about this also

Chris

I add a wedge on both sides of the log about 12" behind the bar just before I finish the cut... that way the bar doesn't bind. I also put a 2x12 on top of each new cut, so that any imperfections in my last cut don't get amplified and broadcast into the next board. Find a use for sawdust! :) You will have a lot of it.

... Find a use for sawdust! :)

I generate a LOT of sawdust from the planer and jointer going from rough lumber to S4S in the shop, and most of it gets put in large 55 gal drum plastic bags which go in the trash. In the winter though, my wifes aunt takes a few bags and instead of salt, throws large amounts of sawdust on her steps and sidewalk when there is ice and snow. Doesn't melt the ice as salt does, doesn't provide as much traction that cinders do, but it does make it less slippery and its free, easy to use and biodegrades as soon as it starts to get warm. The salt kills grass and vegetation and the cinders lots of people use don't go away either.

Myself, I use salt... that fact that the grass right alongside the walk dies is a plus for me, keeps me from having to trim it.

Good for you, Hope you have fun using it. I will be ourchasing one in the next few weeks, or should I say my wife will, my x-mas present!!

I generate a LOT of sawdust from the planer and jointer going from rough lumber to S4S in the shop, and most of it gets put in large 55 gal drum plastic bags which go in the trash. In the winter though, my wifes aunt takes a few bags and instead of salt, throws large amounts of sawdust on her steps and sidewalk when there is ice and snow. Doesn't melt the ice as salt does, doesn't provide as much traction that cinders do, but it does make it less slippery and its free, easy to use and biodegrades as soon as it starts to get warm. The salt kills grass and vegetation and the cinders lots of people use don't go away either.

Myself, I use salt... that fact that the grass right alongside the walk dies is a plus for me, keeps me from having to trim it.

I keep my planer shavings for firestarter in the winter. One good shovelful under the kindling is as good as a dozen pages of newspaper. I like the ice idea though. I don't use my stove ash because I'm generally not that discreet about what I burn, so they're usually full of nails and the like.

Planer shavings go to the doghouses, when they are full it goes for bedding in the pigpen in the barn, when I can no longer find my pigs. I mulch the flowerbeds. I still have more uses for shavings and saw dust then I produce. Pit shops will buy them if they are clean and not of the wrong type of wood. Edgings have many uses to but the majority makes firewood.

Latest posts

Back