"I feel like we need to start a thread dedicated solely to tree care safety." said Ti

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
OK, I'll kick it off.
Something that I've been doing more as I get older is the 'two safeties' concept. When I am climbing (or even working on the ground) I am constantly thinking about my means of support. I LIKE the idea that if something goes wrong or if I slip, I still have a second means of support. I used to do a lot of freeclimbing simply using 3 point contact. I'd scamper to the top of a 60' oak and never tie in untill I reached the top. The thought of doing that scares the sh!t out of me today. Whenever I need to redirect, I think "What would happen to me if I slip while doing this".
Remember, two is one and one is NONE!

Every once in a while i will berate myself because I'll find myself unclipping the line without flipping in. Stupid.

How often do you lean back without double checking all connections?

I peeled vines off that large maple I was removing the day Brian Kitchen was killed and noticed that the trunk was very slippery. The vines had shaded the trunk and held moisture so it was all moldy. If I had not been using my steel core and climbing line I most likely would have been lying on my broken back. I agree Brian, two safeties are a necessity.

I have two young girls ages 5 and 9. I want to be around for them. Seems like there is a certain age when you start thinking more about safety. I posted a thread here called " How Do You Climb?" To summarize this thread, I caught hell from a climber I was working with because I used my climbing line instead of my safety lanyard. I'll do it my way thank you.

The 2 safety lines rule is IMPORTANT. I had already started using a positioning lanyard in conjunction with my lifeline when I watched my Dad fall an break his back-he was using 1 attachment point that failed. I got REAL serious about being double tied when cutting and having at least 1 line clipped in while ascending.
Another point ,a bit more difficult to quantify, is not to try to take too much in one cut. Some of the accident reports I've seen involve kickbak injuries when bucking out a top or branch failure when rigging out big wood. Smaller pieces are not only easier to control but less dangerous if control is lost. Think twice before cutting loose something that weighs more than you do!

I will always tie into a limb if I'm limbwalking and reach a point that a loss of balance would create an uncontrolled swing on my lifeline.
In my current system I climb with a lifeline and two fliplines with Gibbs ascenders.
The only time I'll make a cut without a second tie in is if I'm suspended above something really nasty, like a big widowmaker or a dead tree and I'm cutting well below my tie in point.
Even still, I feel this represents a gap in my technique.

Another thing I have found to work with me- I may not feel like I need every piece of safety gear every time, but I can tell you that when I put on my climbing helmet and safety glasses it helps to put me in the right state of mind to concentrate on climbing safely. I've jumped up into trees 15'-20' without wearing my helmet and I'm amazed at how quickly I can ignore so many other basic safety rules. Since my 18' fall in June '00 I am a lot more cautious even if I'm only 15' off the ground.

The most important piece of safety gear you own is your mind. Seems like putting on my helmet helps put me in the proper mindset to climb safely.

I think Oakwilt said it best.... "Every rule in the book followed religiously will still fall short of common sense usage of our own awareness ".
To me awareness is staying present.. being in the moment with every action.. every move.. every cut.. and that "being in the now", balanced with thinking ahead.. what's going to happen when I do this.. What are my options here.. what is the safest way to get this job done... what are the risks and how do they balance against speed and ease of production for all the options...
Planning as a team.. everybody has a voice in the planing... putting all the heads together to think out the options and possible problems and solutions. And every man knows he can stop the work when sees a safety issue.. and any man can say "no, I don't feel comfortable performing this task".. Every man is responsable for his own safety...
And there is one man responsible for everyone's safety. It's his job to make the final call on planning and make sure everyone understands the plan. It's also his job to observe the way everyone on the job is performing and head off any potential problems.
Awareness is also about getting a sense when the energy of a crew is off.. seeing the little warnings, the mini-mishaps (broken polesaws... mishandled chainsaws, damage to fences, planters....trips, slips,and scrapes etc).. these warnings are always present prior to accidents for those who are paying attention... A perfect example is Brian's death.. Tim was aware that his former boss wasn't operating safely and so he made use of the door...The guy was an accident waiting to happen and Tim knew it... he told us so...
Also when working with new people... watch 'em.. at the first sign that they lack a strong instinct for self-preservation let them know that treework is probably not for them, and do not work with them again..
Then there is complacency... you can recognize it the first time you have the thought that this is safe because I never got hurt in alll the years I've been doing this work... when the truth is the reason you never got hurt is because you weren't thinking like that.
And finally for the believers out there... the power of prayer saves lives.. I start almost every job with a prayer.
God Bless All,
Daniel

<p class=MsoNormal><b style='mso-bidi-font-weight:normal'><span style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";color:teal'>Daniel,

I will hit a knee and pray before ascending a dead or dangerous tree!

When I was running crews for my father’s company, I always gathered the guys around and went over the work order and asked for input. Not only did that let everyone know what we were going to be doing but it gave everyone a sense of belonging or importance. I always said I was not the boss on the job but a team member. However, I would have the final say regarding safety and property. No injuries on my watch so far!

Safety

What happens next is as important as why did I do it that way. What will happen next if I do this. Thinking ahead will save your life and it makes the job go better for all. Don't feel intimidated when it comes to asking questions, the only dumb question is the one you did not ask. If you don't ask you'll never know the answer. It is not the question that is dumb, it is how much you won't know if you don't ask the question, you will remain clueless for not asking.
My way of doing things may not work for you but I know it has worked for me. If you have a idea I'm willing to listen.
I asked a dumb question on estimating the weight of trees. I know how to do that but does someone out there have an easier way. If I don't ask I'll never know so, I ask. Safety is the same, if you don't ask you'll never know.

Safety

Appreciate the daily looksee instructions regarding bucket trucks; we used to call them DI's in the Army when one was assigned a vehicle. The third company I worked for had a bucket truck, and in retrospect, after reading the posts here, I think it was in very poor condition-duct tape holding the boom together does not inspire confidence!! No morning inspection was ever conducted, but at least the operator used a fall arrest device. I was also being told to carry out minor tasks involved with being on the ground with this piece of equipment-no training or explanation very provided.

In a year in this business I have been amazed at some of the common sence safety violations I have seen. Without getting into detail, you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink. Is this a testosterone fuelled thing?? (The Army was really prone to this type of behavior) Like you are more of a man(or woman) if you do not wear a helmet, glasses, gloves or whatever common sence would dictate would be the right thing to wear. It is not only in this and other professional occupations I have seen this 'tude; some of the sports I participate in are also prone to this.

When there is a serious accident, as we have seen mentioned on this site in recent days, and there are conditions that make you scratch your head-like why not use a rope instead of a vehicle, or why was buddy thrown from a rapidly decending bucket you have quote Dr Phil-"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??" Sadly in the case of two people we will never know...........

Dunno, guess I have always been an adventurous though cautious person my entire life-if I was engaged in an activity be it professional or leisure, and safety equipment and proceedures to lessen risk were in place, I used and followed them, sometimes erring on the side of caution.

"There are old jumper and bold jumpers, but no old, bold jumpers"
(old freefallers saying). it could well be applied to arborists as well)

IN the years that I've been participating in discussion forums the safety issue has been a pretty popular subject. After catching up on this thread I have to say that I'm really proud to hear so much personal testimonials from participants. The mindset on this thread is really positive.

Keep spreading the word by deed and action. If things are going to change in the field, we're all responsible. Spread the "Safety Virus"

Any day's a good day when we go home walking!

Tom

"........You're going to war, always have a backup, 2 is 1 and 1 is none!..." Drill Seargeant to troops in G.I. Jane

We are going to war with the odds, standing at the line; staring the devil (death/injury) in the face. The idea of hanging 50' up in the air by a 1/2"piece of nylon while running a power cutting instrument isn't the smartest thing i've ever done! i carry a sling/ mongoose karab for lifeline supprt/redirect only (till the sling becomes downgraded for loads) i use this as a 3rd optional support to a D also. i try to make my 2 connections independant supports ie. not the same limb when close to my TIP, and try to make the 2 supports independantly to my belt ie. using side and front D's as seperate support systems, to seperate anchors. i will never use rigging gear as part of my 'count' for legal supports (2 when cutting, 1 when moving), but will use rigging gear for more balance or drawing me across tree from under TIP; but always maintaining seperate 'legal' supports.

Putting my ear plugs in helps put me in my safety zone like Bri refers to goggles and brain bucket, by isolating the outside noise and increasing my awareness of all else; also the quiet space in my head comes forward. i start thinking and 'grooving' in my safety zone as my concentration increases. Maintaining the habits, and growing with them; always leaves me thankful in the long run (that i wouldn't have if i wasn't using them!).

Safety thread is not a bad idea. It is nice to know what people are actually using vs what is sold in catalogs.

I am pretty religious about 2 points and at least flipping in when redirecting. I hate thinking back on my "heroes" and seeing now how stupid they were. One climber I thought was just the best irritated me by insisting that I climb up an 80ft beech or spruce like him - free climb and then clip in the climbing line. He would hold his hand up and say "I know what this can hold". My gut told me this was wrong and the yrs since have confirmed that. Wonder if he is still alive.

I never hit a knee and pray before ascending a hazard tree. Probably just the attitude of never let em see you sweat. Plus I find any second guessing myself is compounded by help second guessing me in a crucial moment which results in me triple guessing myself. Just go, go, go but stick within your own boundries. Everyone has to do what they think is best to set their mind right.

The only times I have been hurt was when I least expected it. Never in a widow maker tree. Complacency is a mutha F'er

Re: Safety

Originally posted by Jumper
you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.

Sure you can, put salt in his oats. Supervisors need to be that salt. The supervisors/foremen set the tone for the job site. Most people will only rise to your expectations. If employees know they'll lose their job for not following the rules, you'll have employees that follow the rules. If someone doesn't take his own personal safety serious do you really think he'll take your personal safety serious? As climbers we often put our lives in other peoples hands to some degree. I will not put my life in the hands of anyone I don't have confidence in. If employees won't follow the rules I send them down the road. If I worked for someone who didn't emphasize safety or practice it themselves I'd go down the road. Alot of times it comes down to making the right decision instead of the easy or popular decision

Clear communication, especially from climber to ground support, and being willing to stop the work long enough to make sure everyone knows what's going on, even if that seems redundant...
Keep vigilant around drop zone safety
Thorough pre-climb inspections
And proper equipment maintenance/ inspection...
God Bless All,
Daniel

Saftey...the way we think!!!

Just to try something different to get me in habit of double clipping in, I have been refering to my flipline/ lanyard as a "saftey line". So when I get into position to cut I say to myself ....saftey in... and clip it in . I was deadwooding a large Cuppressus macrocarpa over three days (BIg Tree...) and by the end it was becoming effective.
What do you think!!

Back