I have a question about water pumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windwalker7

Windwalker7

ArboristSite Guru
I have a Taco 007 pump that I have hooked up as a booster pump for radiant floor heating.

I filled the pex lines with water for the first time,and was ciculating the water with the pump to check for leaks.

I noticed the pump got pretty warm. Not hot, but very warm. I was circulating cold water. Is it normal for the pump to get very warm in just a few minutes by circulating cold water?

I was circulating water through about 750 ft of 1/2 pex. 5 loops at 150ft each.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

testlight

testlight

ArboristSite Operative
Check how many watts your pump is rated for, also how many feet of lift. Then Find out if your pump is underpowered. Also you may need a high pressure pump, in case you don't have one. Just be sure that you aren't overworking the pump, or you run the risk of burning out the pump or causing a fire.

blackdogon57

blackdogon57

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have two taco 009's on my OWB. I am not an expert on pumps but I can tell you that if they do not have constant water flow when running they can fry real fast. I replaced one last spring because the water supply got cut off and the pump kept running. Got so hot it burned some of the insulation on the OWB. I figure it took less than 15 minutes.

lobsta1

lobsta1

ArboristSite Operative
I don't begin to know the specs, but 750' of 1/2" pex must create a lot of friction & the 007 is a pretty small pump. I have the same pump on my home baseboard & it does get pretty warm but I also don't have any where close to the load you have.
Al

Scootermsp

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
009 or 011

I don't begin to know the specs, but 750' of 1/2" pex must create a lot of friction & the 007 is a pretty small pump. I have the same pump on my home baseboard & it does get pretty warm but I also don't have any where close to the load you have.
Al

Go to the Taco website to size yours properly. Each of my zones and wrap-around for heat exchanger have 007s. My OWB has a 009 on it. Sounds like your 007 is UNDERSIZED.:chainsaw:

Go to Taco pump selection wizard at: http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/wizard_pumps.html

What procedure should be followed when selecting a cartridge circulator?
A recirculation pump is selected based on the total length of pipe, insulated or not insulated, and the total BTU loss. A good estimate is 30 BTU loss for insulated, and 60 BTU loss for non-insulated pipe. For example, 200 lineal feet of non-insulated pipe will have a loss of 12,000 BTU. Divide that number by 10,000 to get 1.2 GPM required.

-FROM THE TACO SITE

Last edited:
reaperman

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
it's an electric motor...air cooled.

water temp has nothing to do with the pump motor.

they do get warm to hot.

I'm not a pump expert, but I'd have to disagree with this. My electric boiler set-up in a out building has two 007's that run only when the boiler is heating, the pump running the "boiler loop" (230 degrees) is much hotter than the pump running the heated water through the floor (130 degrees). Also if I run a pump to circulate when the boiler is not heating, it runs much cooler yet, but is still warm to the touch. Again these are just my findings.

mga

wandering
I'm not a pump expert, but I'd have to disagree with this. My electric boiler set-up in a out building has two 007's that run only when the boiler is heating, the pump running the "boiler loop" (230 degrees) is much hotter than the pump running the heated water through the floor (130 degrees). Also if I run a pump to circulate when the boiler is not heating, it runs much cooler yet, but is still warm to the touch. Again these are just my findings.

i should have clarified myself. what i meant was the pumps don't neccessarilly depend on water for cooling. they'll change in temp as the water changes in temperature.

i'm quite sure that if you ran cold water thru them they would not feel as warm than if hot water was running thru them.

the motor should be able to handle the water temperature changes regardless of the extreme.

so, yes, you are correct.

and, the Taco pumps i believe are oil cooled. some pumps have an electric motor with the windings exposed and these are air cooled. again, i didn't clarify the difference between the two.

my bad.

Last edited:

mga

wandering
+1 What reaperman said......You can't tell me a pump wont pick up any heat from the water?????? Check amp draw with meter = or less then nameplate, walk away and don't worry!

no one said that. what i said was that the water temp should have no bearing on the pump at all, other than to touch. the pumps have a wide operating range of heat degree that they can withstand, usually up to 220 degrees. if your boiler is going over that, you have another issue.

mga

wandering