I just ordered a couple of loops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will probably have to touch them up before they will be any good. My 59CJ was not very sharp out of the box.

Haven't run LGX, but I've run CL and CLX (and CJx). The duropro Oregon (x)chains seem to come a little sharper off the reel than the non duropro chain, which was pretty dull new. Easy to see visually.

For speed only, the duropro is slower because it is a wider cutter. For showing off, I would recommend the Stihl square (RSLKF my favorite) or the older style Oregon like CL, although the Stihl edge lasts much better than Oregon non duropro chain (like the CL).

Of the square I've tried, the Stihl comes sharpest off the reel, although all of them cut noticeably better once sharpened.

Also, my opinion is that with sharp square, they cut better with the depth gauges set pretty high. Like around .025 (.030 max)on a new chain. As the cutters are ground back, naturally the depth gauges need to come down a little.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back