I just used my Northern Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter nap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After 6 or 7 months, I decided to put my Northern Sharpener together.

The screw to the guard was missing but I don't need no steenken guard (tonight).

I had a beater chain for mt beater saw so I started on it. Did most everything wrong but figured it out I think.

I took it apart and used the buffing wheel on the bearing surfaces for the clamping table so it would move without a stout thump.

Surprisingly.....the chain cuts.

Now I have about 15 ripping and skip tooth chains for my bigger saws and mill, that are dull. I guess that will be tomorrow nights project.

I've been using the "el cheepo" ($29)HF one with good success. I did upgrade the wheels to Oregon which cost as much as the grinder. Kinda wish i had gone "grinder" years ago, it's just faster than hand filing. I still touch up with the file when in the field.

RD

The only thing I've found with mine is when switching to the other side close attention has to be paid to maintaining the same cutter lengths. Especially on ripping chains. You'll know it right away if it starts cuttin crooked. A few extra .000 is all it takes

Latest posts

Back