I know some saws are better at certain tasks. Any input on slabbing. Ripping only.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nquyahh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know some saws are better at certain tasks. Any input on slabbing. Ripping only. What is the best setup? I do not have a saw yet but am thinking of a Husky 445E 18” with a Boardmaster from Hudson Forest Equipment. http://www.hud-son.com/includes/webboardmaster resized format picture.jpg
I am retired. I have no (few) tools at this time. My aim is to make cants and swap them for more exotic wood as I do wish to do some furniture making when the tools are purchased. I have several damaged Black Walnut trees promised to me and the back of my pick-up is loaded right now with 5” to 9”
Black Walnut. (center portion) I have about a week to slab another B. Walnut that is already down or I will lose it. I am ready to buy but will wait a day or two for your expert input. Is the set-up mentioned above adequate?

should be fine fer your needs. be sure to use ripping chain if its available to you. post up some pics of your progress and welcome to A/S.

Check out the milling forum mate, I'm sure you'll be well confused after that. Milling is pretty hard on your saw so get the biggest one you can afford, and yeah ripping chain or file the chain you have to 5-10deg on the top plate. Good luck.

I know some saws are better at certain tasks.,,,,,,,,

I have purchased the Boardmaster from Hud-Son Forest Equipment in New York state. Should be here in a couple of days. Called the nearest Husky dealer and he has talked me into getting the 346 professional It is $479.00 plus tax. Will go buy it tomorrow. Will try to get him to throw in a ripping chain. Will put a few pictures up for viewing. Any suggestions on how to turn the sound down on the saw? I suppose over the ear protection is best but Oklahoma is due for 100 degree plus in July, August and Sept. hate to sweat in the muffs. ha!

The Husky guy said there is no advantage to using a thinner kerf on a ripping chain as opposed to standard ripping chain but I am not convinced. It seems to me if you put a thinner rippng chain an a blade it will cut faster which is my goal. Am I off base here? Am not concerned about making boards. I want to slab as quickly as it can be done and I think thinner is faster. Comments?

if you want fast go get a stihl!!! thinner is better:)

Latest posts

Back