"I'm an old Farmhand........"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarti

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Widened the exhaust port, modest muffler mod (3/8 straght out the front). Takes some tugs to start cold (5-6), just like my 4620. Runs well, will wait to cut until I get a 16" bar. I am runninfg 18" .325 on the 4620, may try 3/8 lopro on this. It was free:dunno:

View attachment 296088View attachment 296088

I'm running an 18" .325 on my stock 4620 and really like it. The only thing I don't like is the chintzy anti-vibe system, it feels quite fragile.

Very nice saw cmarti.I have a 2775 that i just replaced the p/c with one from a 4620.The saw is perfect but the case has a couple of stripped threads.Any good advice to fix it?

Very nice saw cmarti.I have a 2775 that i just replaced the p/c with one from a 4620.The saw is perfect but the case has a couple of stripped threads.Any good advice to fix it?

I have used JB quick weld. I have tried two ways and they both worked. Fill the hole and let it set up a a little, and push a hole thinner than the screw down thr JB weld , let it set up an hour,but not cure...then cut the new threads with the screw. or fill the hole and put the greased screw back in. let it set up, and back the screw out.

I was lucky with this one. It just took fuel lines, carb kit and a clutch. I had to clean up melted plastic around the chain brake band. Appears was run with the brake on...probably what fried the clutch.

Nice saw for a freeby.

As far as the antivibe goes it is all springs so what it not to like.

Also these saws are very easy to work on and parts are cheap.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. I bought mine with some broken AV springs on Fleabay for $50.00. New springs and a few other parts and its a great saw, seems to have alot of low end grunt for its size. Designwise it reminds me alot of the Mac 610. One thing I love about Poulans is that parts are dirt cheap and easy to find. I get alot o mine from Partstree.com, looking through their IPL's I am amazed at how many parts they carry for the really old saws.

I have used JB quick weld. I have tried two ways and they both worked. Fill the hole and let it set up a a little, and push a hole thinner than the screw down thr JB weld , let it set up an hour,but not cure...then cut the new threads with the screw. or fill the hole and put the greased screw back in. let it set up, and back the screw out.

I was lucky with this one. It just took fuel lines, carb kit and a clutch. I had to clean up melted plastic around the chain brake band. Appears was run with the brake on...probably what fried the clutch.

Thanks for the tips,i will try them.:msp_thumbup:

Anyone know if its feasible to convert the saws to 3/8 chain? All my others use 3/8 and I'd prefer them all to be the same. Also, there are way many more choices for 3/8 out there. Do you have to replace sprocket, chain, and bar to do so or can you get away with just the chain and sprocket? I know I have a .325 chain and sprocket but I think the bar is 3/8, it has green Poulan lettering not Poulan Pro. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Anyone know if its feasible to convert the saws to 3/8 chain? All my others use 3/8 and I'd prefer them all to be the same. Also, there are way many more choices for 3/8 out there. Do you have to replace sprocket, chain, and bar to do so or can you get away with just the chain and sprocket? I know I have a .325 chain and sprocket but I think the bar is 3/8, it has green Poulan lettering not Poulan Pro. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Yes you can,i run 18" 3/8 on my 2775.You will need a 3/8 sprocket from a wild thing and obviously a 3/8 bar/chain.I think the bar you have is .325,mine was the same,green Poulan letters.

.325 chain on a 3/8 bar is not possible.

Thanks. I guess it must be a .325 bar then because it works quite well. Is it even possible to fit a 3/8 chain on a .325 sprocket and bar, or vice versa? I may just keep my saw at .325 and get a better chain for it.

Thanks. I guess it must be a .325 bar then because it works quite well. Is it even possible to fit a 3/8 chain on a .325 sprocket and bar, or vice versa? I may just keep my saw at .325 and get a better chain for it.

No,3/8 chains can only be used on 3/8 sprockets and bars,the same applys to the .325 chains.Nothing wrong with the .325,how long is the bar you have?

I gotta find me one of those PP saws to play with.
Smallest saw in the stable right now is an 044.

Tell you what......This is the kind of guy I am......I have two 46 cc Poulans, a 42cc Craftsman, a 40 CC FrankenPoulan (built from my parts box) and a Husky 141. You can play with all of them, just ship me the 044:msp_w00t:.....I know, I am just too big hearted:msp_smile:

My 4620 has an 18" bar and one of the better Oregon homeowner chains on it. When that one wears out I'm going to put a 20LP on it. Now that I've figured out that I do in fact have a .325 bar on it I'll probably just stick with that, all my other saws are 14" or 16".

I think the 4620 is descended from the older Husqvarna saws. Its not a copy or a continuation but you can clearly see its lineage. I found an old Husqvarna 40 in a pawn shop today. Examining it, the resemblance to the 4620 is quite plain. Both have the same all in one handles and antivibe system. Almost identical boxy recoil housing. Same type of on/off switch in the same location. Bar clamp and chain brake look identical. I couldn't take the top cover off but it wouldn't surprise me if the architecture underneath was the same. And of course, the 4620 uses .325 chains like Husky whereas most other Poulans use 3/8.

I think,without beeing 100% sure that this series of Husqvarna like the 40,45 etc is not the same with the Poulan 4620.Poulan 4620,2775,2900 etc are identical with the Husqvarna 36,41,136,141,142 and the Jonsered 2036,2040.They share almost everything except the p/c wich are smaller cc's on the 2 brands(Hysky,Jonhy).

Edit:As far i can tell the only difference between the 2775,2900,3050 and the 4620 (and the Husky-Jonsereds) is the different flywheel.The older Poulans had the flywheel with the 3 magnets but the 4620 and the other 2 brands have the 2 magnets flywheel,assuming that the coils would be different as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back