Important things, the gaps, and beer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I started this thread as I was inspired from a recent thread of whether rounds took up more space than split. Turnkey4099's response of gaps between rounds being there, but small, got me thinking philosopically, so maybe this thread belongs elsewhere. However, I think anyone who cares and provides for their family in many ways including firewood gathering can appreciate the following insightful link, and maybe even realize what things we're truly working for.

http://www.bodensatz.com/article.php?story=20031221200703992

Nice one.. about sum's up my situation at the moment, 3 kids , 3 year old and 22 month old twins... nothing but stress at work. only time to get time to cut is when they are asleep, cause they are only small once in their life and I ain't going to let it pass me by. oh but there is always beer time! :cheers: :hmm3grin2orange:

It's helped me realize that often I need to re-evaluate things I'm doing. Example: working on the house or gathering firewood. In and of themselves, they are necessary for my family, and I'm doing it for my family, but....when do I cross the line of loss of attention to the family. How much more time is spent "stuff"? How little focus does my wife get because of "stuff". I need to properly balance taking care of her with caring for her.

Along the lines of caring for rather than taking care of my wife, I've decided something important....

Previously, my woodpile addiction was ecclipsed only by my alcohol addiction. Ludicrous volumes of beer have been consumed for a very very, very long time. Beer and wood should NOT be my life's "golf balls" as they have been up until recently...so I decided to change that last week.

Praying for strength to change, I left the last few brewskies sit a couple days with little desire (gift from God) to consume them...but they were there so I had a couple...tasted foul..a few days without desire, last two were wretched and made me tired and grumpy....how did I consume so much of it before? Well...no longer!!

So now I actually converse with the wife when she gets home really late from school. Energy and motivation to keep plugging away at the wood splitting is way up, and I'm only just beginning to realize what I actually make into "golf balls or sand"!!

Last edited:
I started this thread as I was inspired from a recent thread of whether rounds took up more space than split. Turnkey4099's response of gaps between rounds being there, but small, got me thinking philosopically, so maybe this thread belongs elsewhere. However, I think anyone who cares and provides for their family in many ways including firewood gathering can appreciate the following insightful link, and maybe even realize what things we're truly working for.

http://www.bodensatz.com/article.php?story=20031221200703992

Thanks for that link. Wise words.

Latest posts

Back