Inside or out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germy01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK, I just put my new husky 353 together and ran the first tank of gas through it today and more to follow tomorrow. Its winter here in WI and I am wondering if I should bring the saw inside over night and back out in the morning or leave it outside? Any thoughts and advice thanks

Leave it outside. If you let them in the house once they get to thinking they belong inside-before you know it you'll have it in pieces on the kitchen table all the time. :p

I keep mine inside much to the wifes disliking! :rolleyes: They start easier in the morning and require less effort after refueling and re-oiling! Plus not as cold to work on when they should be cleaned and re-oiled. :blob2:

I've never stored a saw inside in my life. If they need to be warmer than ambient air to start they probably won't run well when they cool down. How long do you think it takes magnesium, aluminum and plastic to loose all of the house heat?

Is anyone concerned about water condensation in the gas tank from inside/outside?

I was worried about some issues like condensation but like it was mentioned it is nice to work on refuel and oil in the heat, nice to have the bar oil warm too. just wondering if the convenience of heat is worth risking the condensation.

I have never left a saw outside. They do not come into the house, but they are always stored in the garage.

Of course, I do not have the weather extremes that someone living in WI might worry about...

It just makes more sense to me to keep them in the garage rather then left locked up in the truck. :blob5:

In the shed or in the toolboxes on the truck. Cold but dry. They are made for the outdoors so they stay out there. The only time my saws have seen the inside of the house is when they were brand new.

I keep mine in the garage, not open elements, but not in the warm house either. I try to avoid condensation.
Speaking of weather extremes, we'll be going through near 40 degrees and rain to -5 or -10 below in about 1-1/2 days. Watch all the idiots slid off the roads tomorrow. :dizzy:

depends on how cold it gets where u are..its my understanding in say canada..
if you left it outside the oil would be so thick [almost solid] .. least thats what ive heard.. until the saw warmed the oil.. u just plain wouldnt be oilin the bar at all.
just speculation. in nc its not that much of a problem..

I keep mine in the house, not just for maintenance, but also due to the lack of power out in the shop. Plus after cleaning them up from a days cutting, allows me to make sure they are dried out. Plus I don't have as many problems as I did last year with the oil not flowing very well.

OK, I just put my new husky 353 together and ran the first tank of gas through it today and more to follow tomorrow. Its winter here in WI and I am wondering if I should bring the saw inside over night and back out in the morning or leave it outside? Any thoughts and advice thanks
stupid is what stupid does. thankx fer the neg rep:looser: no wonder they fired you from your job more than once:monkey: burger king is taking apps.

Last edited:
:jawdrop: :cry: Is this a saw thread at all by now????

To the original topic, basic rule is out in summer and semi-in at winter - but no big deal. :givebeer:

At the moment the "inside" ones are the 346xp and 339xp, the others are "outside", in the shed at the cottage.....:)

Last edited:
:jawdrop: :cry: Is this a saw thread at all by now????

To the original topic, basic rule is out in summer and semi-in at winter - but no big deal. :givebeer:

At the moment the "inside" ones are the 346xp and 339xp, the others are "outside", in the shed at the cottage.....:)
sorry fer the derail but this dude pissed me off with his neg rep bs bout something he obviously knows nothing about. give him some neg will ya im all out of juice

All of my saws reside in a 30x 40 heated garage , no hard startin due to being left out in the elements and lots of room to clean, sharpen chains, tune, gas and oil them up before a days work.
Pioneerguy600

What's the matter, did he neg your 'first saw' posts?
Doesn't look like he has any firepower, so couldn't have done much harm.
i give rep when its earned and i take offence to any neg rep with no good reason. i think the rep system a/s is way far too much bullchips.

Latest posts

Back