Installing a bigger ram on a TW-2HD?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The timberwolf 2-HD came with a 16 gpm pump, 9 horse Honda, 15 gal. hydraulic tank, and I think 3" cylinder( this is a friends log splitter). It handles the straight grained wood "ok", but elm, cottonwood, it struggles. Can a bigger cylinder be installed to get through the narly wood? Any other modifications necessary?

Can a bigger cylinder be installed?

Yes, but it will slow down the cycle time. I can't imagine any mods needed if the new cylinder has enough clearance to mount. The place where the smaller cylinder attaches to the frame at both ends might be too low for the larger cylinder.

Ian

Edit... also if the I-beam isn't stout enough to handle the added tonnage, you might just pretzel it.

Last edited:
34 speeco spec a 5in cylinder, 16gpm w/8hp honda for 15 sec cycle times.

you'd be better off going with a 4in cylinder for aprox 10 sec cycle times

The timberwolf 2-HD came with a 16 gpm pump, 9 horse Honda, 15 gal. hydraulic tank, and I think 3" cylinder( this is a friends log splitter). It handles the straight grained wood "ok", but elm, cottonwood, it struggles. Can a bigger cylinder be installed to get through the narly wood? Any other modifications necessary?

Timberwolf would have larger cylinders and would know if you can fit one up safely without mods.

Ian

Split the difference

Ouch, even I think that's poor.

Anyway, if you move up to a 5 inch cylinder the area of the piston will increase by a little over 7 sq. inches (19.6 vs 12.6). That's a bunch. However, to get your cycle time down go with the largest diameter ram you can find at a reasonable price. A larger ram will help speed up the retract time as less oil is needed to fill on the return stroke.

Take Care

I would go with a 5", I have a 16 gpm pump with a 5" cylinder and wouldnt go any bigger than that, unless you have all day. I can split anything I want with it and it does not miss a beat.

I would check Northern Hydraulics to see if something will bolt up, or if you want to save some money and can weld, or have a buddy who can I would check look for a local company who scraps out semi's. I got my cylinder from a friend who owns a truck chop shop and he had racks and racks of cylinders. He says he normaly sells them for $50-100 and he says if they dont work bring it back and he will give you a new one. If you have someone like that in your area it might save you some money because a new cylinder that big is not cheap.

Stick with the 4" cylinder. If it cant split it,use the the saw or dont waste your time with it.The time/money you lose with a 5" cylinder isnt worth the few extra peices of wood it will split over the 4".

Sounds like a pressure check is in order. I use a 4" on mine and it is rare for a piece to stop it. And as been mentioned already the cycle time will suffer and that ain't worth slowing down for one piece in a 100.

Don' think I'd do it

I'm not sure but you better check with timberwolf about putting more cylinder on. Most companies engineer just enough strength into the beam to handle whats on there. More cylinder means busting something. And if it is any consellation, I have a TW 6 and I can hang that up too.

Well........

I called Timberwolf today and left message," Should I get a bigger ram or is a pressure valve not working properly". I'll get back with them on Monday to see if we can get this resolved.

Latest posts

Back